SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Popped a rocker. Already found one of the shims and now we have the cams off. Still can't find the other shim! Where could it have gone?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
it can only be 3 places.
1. Still up top somewhere (maybe in that little area next to one of the valve springs). I don't think there are any other nooks for it to hide in.
2. In one of the oil return passages.
3. In the oil pan.

Does anyone know ho0w the size of the oil return passages compare to the size of the shims or rocker arm guides?
Are the shims and rocker arm guides magnetic?

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
If it in your oil filter it would be in pieces. The oil pump gets the oil BEFORE the filter but the strainer on the pump would catch it first unless you have taken it off.

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jacen99SE:
it can only be 3 places.
1. Still up top somewhere (maybe in that little area next to one of the valve springs). I don't think there are any other nooks for it to hide in.
3. In the oil pan.

Does anyone know ho0w the size of the oil return passages compare to the size of the shims or rocker arm guides?
</font>
The oil return passages are not very wide. They are actually a little wider right at their opening in the head then they are down below, What i mean is they get smaller as it goes down into the bottom end, so the shim will only be resting on top of one of the holes...its too big to actually go all the way down one of the passages. The mising shim, since oyu have the cams out and dont see it anywhere up top there, is prolly in the oil pan. When it cams off it prolly got knocked aorund by the cams and flew over by the timng chain and fell right down into the pan. Drop thaat SOB. It may(very slim chance) have slipped in between the coils of one of the springs while i was unsprung, so check in there. and take out your oil filter to make sure its not sitting in it
Also, since you have the cams out, run a fingernail across each lobe...if you feel the slightest little scratch from flying parts, its time fo new casm
Good Luck. BTW...i am experienced with this! Dont ask!!!

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take off the sump. I've gone through this twice. The first time I said it couldn't get past the pick up. It got sucked up and my oil pressure dropped one day and that was it. It's worth the extra time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes they are magnetic. I overreved once during a mis-shift from 3rd to 2nd and blew my rockers. After I got my cam and rockers replaced, I put a bigass magnet on my oil pan. And then dropped the pan ASAP...

There was a shim in the pan. So yes shims fit down there.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jacen99SE:
it can only be 3 places.
3. In the oil pan.

</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts