SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The recent thread on gas milage, makes it obvious that I had a serious problem... At first I thought that hard city driving up hills, etc. in San Francisco was a good enough excuse for getting arround 15MPG city (only down 2 miles from milage listed on AutoTrader specs), but most of you are getting between 20 and 23 or so....so obviously something is wrong.

I have few upgrades (soon to change :D ) and I recently staged a full scale tune-up, including NGK plugs, Accel ignition wires, fuel filter, and... air filter in the form of an intake. Aside from the intake I have no mods that are engine related. I have cracked engine mounts which may slightly effect gas milage, but it has always been bad. My clutch slips too and I have an ACT HD on the way....

Any ideas what I could check to fix the problem? I'm willing to try anything!

Thanks,
-Simon

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts
ResidentWarui said:
The recent thread on gas milage, makes it obvious that I had a serious problem... At first I thought that hard city driving up hills, etc. in San Francisco was a good enough excuse for getting arround 15MPG city (only down 2 miles from milage listed on AutoTrader specs), but most of you are getting between 20 and 23 or so....so obviously something is wrong.

I have few upgrades (soon to change :D ) and I recently staged a full scale tune-up, including NGK plugs, Accel ignition wires, fuel filter, and... air filter in the form of an intake. Aside from the intake I have no mods that are engine related. I have cracked engine mounts which may slightly effect gas milage, but it has always been bad. My clutch slips too and I have an ACT HD on the way....

Any ideas what I could check to fix the problem? I'm willing to try anything!

Thanks,
-Simon
I haven't heard you say anything about the O2 sensor. When was the last time those were checked/replaced?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm O2 sensor? this is what screws into the MAF on the intake right?
how does this affect gas milage?

-thanks

·
Registered
296 Posts
hey i had a simaliar problem when i got my car as well. I cleaned out the throttle body and it all improved, just take it off and use the cleaning spray to get all the **** out, you may have to buy a new gaskit for it, I had to. it should work.

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Simon,

your o2 sensor is what goes in your header. If its bad, you'll be getting very poor fuel economy. I would keep the stock nissan wires, stock fuel filter, etc. I would check the o2 sensor, replace it, if it doesn't work return it...or try to...they are like $50 from autozone, and they are bosch so they are actually OEM for the car, since stock is bosch as well. Other than getting an safc and wideband o2 sensor on a dyno-tune day, you will have to keep shooting in the dark.

1.Replace o2.
2. If you have cash, buy an safc or emanage, and go dyno your car with wideband o2, you'll find that leaning your car out makes more hp.

Justin

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ah, thanks Mr Ryte, and justin.
I can see the 02 sensor clearly with the hood open. i'll check it out.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
No problem, I hope you can get rid of the problem with just a simple o2 change, most problems on my car take 20 different approaches (and a bunch of extra expenditures!!) before I figure it out.

Justin

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
someone told me to clean my intake manifold with carb cleaner spray...thats the same things as spraying all the crap out of the throttle body right? or is there a way to get deeper into the intake manifold?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just filled up, on my last tank i got 16.42MPG

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Damn that is horrible man! What mods do you have? Just intake and exhaust right?

Justin

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
not even exhaust just intake... plus all the tune-up **** i put in there, and soon to be the cams i getting from you, plus the ACT clutch that came today :D , and motor mounts.....

install on all that stuff is gonna be in about a month when i can get the garage space.

i know it's bad, maybe if i was getting 22MPG i could afford more parts... i know someone who gets better milage on a truck.....

can carb cleaner in a can can improve milage?

cancancancancancancancanclkjadlkj

thanks all.
-simon

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I have no idea why you are getting such shitty fuel economy. however...I have a theory...that sounds like complete and total stupidity. When i turbo'd my car, I also did the complete tune-up...plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter..now I get 17-22mpg usually, or 200-250 to a tank (11-12gal.). Could a tuneup help your car run better, but give you worse gas mileage? HMM!

Justin

·
GT2835R
7,609 Posts
^^Yeah i just did a full tune up too, and im getting horrible gas mileage as well. Like 180mi to 9 something gallons. I dont get it. I just put a brand new 02 sensor as well, and i still get crap mileage. WTF.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nizzan4u2nv said:
^^Yeah i just did a full tune up too, and im getting horrible gas mileage as well. Like 180mi to 9 something gallons. I dont get it. I just put a brand new 02 sensor as well, and i still get crap mileage. WTF.
you're still doing better than me...180 to a full tank 10-11 gallons is good, and when i road trip, etc. i'm loving the 200 miles to a tank i get, even though some of you still get much better milage...

interesting idea about the tune up justin...weird though because my milage has been pretty much the same since i got the car and before the tuneup...

looking for a brand new O2 sensor and clutch cable....

·
Owned by Maximas!
4,064 Posts
Does it really matter if you get the OEM courtesy o2 sensor vs some pepboys brand. I know that the stock o2 sensor is a Bosch brand..

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are one and the same. I doubt Bosch makes a dealership model # and then an auto parts store model #.

Justin

1 - 20 of 42 Posts