SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the time has finally come. My stock clutch is slipping pretty bad and I have been doing some research and had decided on a JWT setup. Today I called a few shops and got some quotes. The first place I called has done work for me before and I was very pleased with it. They quoted me $525 for labor, and I would supply the parts. The second place i called treated me like i was stupid for even thinkning of a performance clutch. The guy told me that my clutch pedal would be way to stiff and that I would be unhappy with it. He said my car should have at least 200 more hp to need a performance clutch. Has anyone else had these problems? Do these prices sound fair? (I've never had a clutch replaced) Any input whatsoever would be extremely helpful. Thanks alot.

Danny

·
Registered
756 Posts
$525 for just labor? That seems like a lot to me. Have you looked into an ACT clutch? The HD PP with the stock disc is a pretty good combo.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
I've got to chime in on this one....
1.) Yes, $525 for labor is ripping you off. A clutch install is about a 4.5 hour job, X $50 or so per hour for labor (most shops should charge in this area) = $225. This is just a ballpark, but I see no reason a reputable shop wouldn't do it for a max of $350.
2.) I have a ProActive brand HD clutch and PP, and have so far made 106 dragstrip launches at 5,500rpm on it. It is tough. Pedal engagement is close to the stocker. Price? $295 shipped to me.

Oh yeah....I paid $200 in labor for the install. Just so you know.

·
SNAIL SQUAD
10,271 Posts
I HAVE THE ACT CLUTCH AND PRESSURE PLATE COMBO. I LOVE IT. THE CLUTCH PEDAL IS ALMOST LIKE STOCK JUST SLIGHTLY STIFFER BUT NOT BAD AT ALL. I ALSO PAID $200.00 FOR LABOR. YOU SHOULD SHOP AROUND AND SEE WHO GIVES YOU A BETTER PRICE!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
hey white92, i just put the jwt clutch on 400 miles ago (back in april?). anyways, $525 sounds a bit pricey. but it depends on what the labor rates are in your area. i had my work done at the nissan dealership here in town. after i called about 7 different places it all came down to who i could trust for quality workmanship. the jwt clutch is wonderful, and not too much $$ IMHO. F*#@ whoever said you need more hp. thats like saying, "uh, you need more hp to get better brakes." the thing i noticed first was how quickly the clutch engages and how much closer to the floor my pedal was. you won't be unhappy, trust me. as far as ACT or those other brands i'm sure they're good quality, too. i just know jwt is tops when it comes to nissan. plus i used to work around the corner from them! good luck!

stiletto

99 Sentra SEL platinum gold w/ HS headers and CAI, custom b-pipe, arospeed exhaust, magnecor 8.5mm wires, eibach pro-kit, courtesy nissan frt and rear STB, smc short shifter, greddy knob, jwt clutch, k&n crankcase breather, 17 deg. timing, clear corners and taillights and not a single stock bulb.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
$525 is godamned ridiculous. I had a local shop do my clutch, replace the starter, and fix a ****ed up wheel bearing for $400.

------------------
Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli's, Nis-Knacks goodies
www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Soopastank;

IIRC, we ordered my ProActive clutch from Options Auto Salon (www.optauto.com). I remember the price clearly, as I just found the sales slip the other day while cleaning the garage.
Hopefully, they still carry them.
If not, JWT always is a good deal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts