SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you hear the noice increase when you punch the gas and let off? If you do, its definetly one of your motor mounts. I had this problem a few months ago. I thought it was something inside the engine, but when I took my car in for a new alternator, I told them about the noise and they checked it out and found a collapsed motor mount. Hopefully its the same for you, because its cheap to fix.

G

·
0 Posts
Sounds like the tensioner to me. Don't be too afraid to tackle this yourself (w/ a FSM).

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Thanks for all the replies gusy! Yeah one of the mechanics at the STEALERSHIPS listened to my engine and he verified that it was the timing chain. He said it could be a number of things..off guide...bad tensioner...or the chain strectched. There is a glimmer of hope though..said it didn't sound to bad..said it probably won't go for awhile but its something I should fix soon..chain could end up going and I could bend some valves. Unfortunatley I dont own a FSM but if there is anybody that owns one in the Nothern California Area that would like to help me tackle this..please post..or if anybody would be able to scan and send me the pages with this procedure I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again for all your help guys!

------------------
Irwin 96 200sx SE-R (stock)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
you don't need a fsm if you have balls, just take off your v/c, oil filter, and tentioner, and make sure everything lines up and put it back together. ****, I did my cams without a fsm, just torque specs from jwt. ya, it was 15 degrees outside and I was sweating like it was 115, but it got done

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
alright guys...I've got a lil problem...I started noticing a rattling sound coming from my engine...from underneath the hood I reved the motor and could hear that the noise was coming from the valve cover..( left side...guessing its the timing chain ) Driveablity hasn't really suffered...but I kinda worried this could lead to future problems. I remember reading about other guys replacing the timing chain tensioner....( my motor has 80,000 miles..) and Im planning on doing that but after calling the 2 STEALERSHIPS in my area...they quoting me 1. 1,275 just labor 2. 980 just labor....what the fawk? Is that crazy or what? I figure for that much...I could probably get a decent low mileage motor put in instead. But yeah this is my daily driver and only car...Drivability hasn't been affected..(from what I can tell anyway) But anybody have a knowledge of this?? Anyone form the Northern Cali area...to help if I decide to try to do it myself ( after doing research of the process of course! ) Buy yeah thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Soopastank:
alright guys...I've got a lil problem...I started noticing a rattling sound coming from my engine...from underneath the hood I reved the motor and could hear that the noise was coming from the valve cover..( left side...guessing its the timing chain ) Driveablity hasn't really suffered...but I kinda worried this could lead to future problems. I remember reading about other guys replacing the timing chain tensioner....( my motor has 80,000 miles..) and Im planning on doing that but after calling the 2 STEALERSHIPS in my area...they quoting me 1. 1,275 just labor 2. 980 just labor....what the fawk? Is that crazy or what? I figure for that much...I could probably get a decent low mileage motor put in instead. But yeah this is my daily driver and only car...Drivability hasn't been affected..(from what I can tell anyway) But anybody have a knowledge of this?? Anyone form the Northern Cali area...to help if I decide to try to do it myself ( after doing research of the process of course! ) Buy yeah thanks guys!</font>
Change the timing chain tensioner and see if the noise disappears. It is a very simple procedure (outlined somehwere on se-r.net) and much cheaper than those prices you qutoed and shouldn't take more than an hour (probably more like 30 minutes). It could be that you have an old-style timing chain tensioner, too.

------------------
'93 Sentra SE-R, daily driver and track/autox toy
'91 Sentra SE-R, future racecar

G

·
0 Posts
I don't believe the timing chain will get stretched w/80k miles. And if your 200SX is one of the recent year model then it should already be using the re-designed chain tensioner. I had a stretched timing chain experience with my totaled 83 Maxima. Before the chain replacement, the car runs something like a Vtec engine. Very underpowered at low rpm (due to the stretched chain - retarded timing), and picks back up at higher rpm (something like that). For my 91 G20, I replace the tensioner just for the hack of it(just in case, for the age w/100k at that time). It took me no longer that 20 minutes and the unit and gasket costed about $50..............I would say get someone else to check it out, or spend $50 replace it and go from there.

------------------
Nelson
"What is a G20 stands for?" G-spot 20x.........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts