SR20 Forum banner

What is the most cost-effective route for a summer driver??

• GA16DE -> SR20DET swap

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • GA16DE HotShot turbo kit

Votes: 2 13.3%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 1996 200SX SE with the GA16DE engine. I am in the process of planning ahead for the near future, but I am stuck on one major decision. Hopefully some of you can help me out with some knowledgable and accurate advice. My goal is 187kW (~250hp) and 300Nm (~220ft-lbs) of torque @ the wheels without the use of N20. I plan on keeping the car forever and not using it as a race car, but rather, as a "summer driver."

Based on this information.... what is the most COST-EFFECTIVE and EFFICIENT route to take?

1) SR20DET swap? (keep in mind how much time and money it is for the GA16 -> SR20 swap. two local shops quoted me no less than $6,000 including parts and labor)

2) HotShot turbo kit for the GA16? (check www.nissanperformancemag.com for further information)

I appreciate all the votes and advice in this matter, but please don't post a reply unless you are 99% certain you know what you are talking about. Thanks in advance. :biggrin:

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
I voted for the DET swap. Why? So many resources in parts and literature supporting that decision. Turbo-ing the GA16 is so rarely done you may run into problems tuning it. Plus the SR20 itself is pretty tough engine compared to the fuel economy-oriented GA16.

·
Registered
989 Posts
You might want to PM sr20 forum member NIN_00. He did a GA16 to SR20 swap. I believe his swap was about 2K in cost. He did it himself and with help. You will never regert it. Have fun.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
qinsac said:
You might want to PM sr20 forum member NIN_00. He did a GA16 to SR20 swap. I believe his swap was about 2K in cost. He did it himself and with help. You will never regert it. Have fun.
He did a DE swap, so the cost for a DET will be higher. I stickied a thread he made on NF that highlights what you need and what approximate costs you're looking at:

http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php?t=45029

Being that this is an SR forum, we will obviously tell you to go for the DET swap, as we know quite well about the portential of the SR20s.

The GA16 isn't that bad of a motor either. NPM hit 233 whp on their project 200SX and wes did 249 whp on his ride. Therefore, turbocharging the GA isn't a bad idea.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that it all boils down to what you want and how much you can afford to spend.

Good luck with whichever route you do.

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
I would base the decision solely on hp/dollar.

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
geez, honestly i would just sell that car and get somthing with an sr20 in it already, and turbo that. or swap in a DE and add a t28. i dont see the point of of a DET if you are only going for 250hp.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I don't understand what other information you are looking for, I answered your questions in PM, told you what was more cost effective, you still posted this exact same post over on NF and here you go over here... WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR??? A SIGN FROM HEAVEN??? :confused:

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
Haha, I'm with James. Make up your mind already dude.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the reason i posted on two diff forums is cause i figured i would have more of a chance to get more intelligent and varied responses. i guess i was wrong :mad:

no one is even giving me a straight answer. i tried giving as much information as possible to help give me the best advice but that didnt even help much. i keep getting 'ohhh well it depends on this...' and 'oohh it depends on that'. this is supposed to be a simple answer. choice 1 or 2.

paNX2K&SE-R said the best thing so far - 'base it soley on hp/dollar' The only problem here is that i have found no reliable information out there for TOTAL COST breakdown (or written procedure for that matter) of either choice. if this is available somewhere, enlighten me. no flaming this time either.

·
little Thunder
1,969 Posts
Dude you need to relax! These guys are helping you out and they are just wondering what your goals are? It seems like James and Harris has answered your question but you were not satisfied. I would question your motive as well.

MCHNHED said:
My goal is 187kW (~250hp) and 300Nm (~220ft-lbs) of torque @ the wheels without the use of N20. I plan on keeping the car forever and not using it as a race car, but rather, as a "summer driver."
If the car will be a "summer driver" only then I will just turbo your current motor (GA16DE). It all depends on your current financial situation, time and effort you wish to apply. I would do a compression test on your current motor and if all checks good, then go for the turbo. Your goal for 250hp is very attainable with your current motor with a turbo kit. What is your budget or can afford? (You need to answer this first).

Harris said:
The GA16 isn't that bad of a motor either. NPM hit 233 whp on their project 200SX and wes did 249 whp on his ride. Therefore, turbocharging the GA isn't a bad idea.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that it all boils down to what you want and how much you can afford to spend.
Harris has given you an answer here. I think this is a very valid advice on the cheapest way of attaining your goal. If you don't like this then go with the SR20DET swap. Don't know what else you are looking for.

As far as write up... Why not contact Wes from this forum and ask him question and do some searches on GA16. It really all depends on what you can afford and want to accomplish. The power is at your hands! :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hahaha i am relax. if anyone isnt relax it's James.... anyway, thanks for the reply nismo91. my budget can really afford either the swap OR the turbo kit, but i don't want to spend money that i dont have to, you know? it seems like both the GA16 Turbo route AND the DET swap cost the same amount of money in the end, but that's really what i was saying earlier. i can't find any reliable information regarding TOTAL PRICES.

this is the info i have found so far...

1) GA16DE Turbo would run about $5,000 total with the HotShot kit, new clutch, JWT ECU mod, cat-back exhaust, labor, and PA sales tax.

2) SR20DET swap would run about the SAME price. Ryan from JGY Customs quoted me $5k recently, including parts and labor. only other thing is i would have to drive about 5 hours to get to VA and part with the car for 2 weeks :( but that might be worth it :cool:

apparently, it looks like the DET swap is a better overall investment because i would be obtaining more power & potential at a lower and safer boost level, but now i am left wondering what the parts availability is like on this JDM engine (to keep up with routine maintenance)... let me know if this information looks accurate and how hard it is to get a hold of parts then. thanks for being patient.

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
At first you said your goal was 250 WHp. I told you in a previous mail your pretty close to the edge at 250 on the GA. Now you mention more potential.

With that said I say do the swap.

The reason I said it depends in your PM's is that it does depend on MANY things. Budget, technical ability, goals, resources etc.....

You have to make up your mind what works better for you and RESEARCH everything to the fullest. No one can spoon feed you every detail and make up your mind for you.

Granted I do think it's a good idea to get as many opinions as possible, the critical point is that you know when they are just that, opinions.

Good luck...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts