SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My birthday is coming up and I have about a grand saved up. I should have about $1800 by June 17. What mods would you guys choose for a stock 91 with 81k.

1. HS header, exhaust, CAI?
2. Keep saving for DET.
3. Blow it all on strippers and "JUN" stickers.

...just kidding on 3--the wife might not like the stickers.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KB,

True, but I will probably have to spend extra $$ getting/ or modifying the IC to fit up front. I don't want the hood scoop look. Also, i would probably go ahead and put in a hi-po clutch. Not to mention the $500 or so for the JWT turbo ecu. It looks like a $2500-3000 project. Of course, this is presuming the DET I get (Sleeper quoted me $1700) is in good shape. Ughh! Man, ~200hp does sound soooo sweet.

GHB

·
Registered
705 Posts
Well...If you are thinking turbo is in your future, then oyu might as well keep saving. But if you can't wait and wanna build that motor NA till you have the extra cash for a turbo, then i say do it like this...

1. CAI(HS or PR)($200)
2. Header(AEBS or HS)($375-450)
3. Cams(JWT or JUN)($550)
4. Clutch(i prefer ACT)($375)

Thats almost $1600 there, so you will have some money left over for gas

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would continue to save for the DET If you are planning to go DET in the future, you won't need the cams, cai, or the header. I would DEFINITELY go with the DET.

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
DET, no point in doing NA mods if ur gonna go turbo...

------------------
Greg Taylor
96 SE-R w/ stuff
"Walk tall and carry a big stick..."

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you do want to go turbo, start getting the rest of the car up to snuff first:

- Bigger/better brakes
- Motor mount inserts or solids
- Suspension work
- Sticky tires

If you plan to go NA, then incorporate these into the above mentioned mix.

CB

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
It depends on what you want out of a car. Do you want to drag race the car and daily drive it as well, then get a Turbo. Do you want to do road race events, then keep it NA. I have yet to see a custom made turbo that does not cause problems on a road course. Moreover, a turbo on a road course is not optimal. Imagine going into a corner and falling off boost and then as you come out of the corner boost hits suddenly. What will happen to the stability of your FWD car with a chassis and suspension that is not designed to handle boost to begin with?

I have talked to many road course instructors who complained about driving cras with turbo boost. Power is not linear. It is sudden. That cause handling problems.

And here I am talking about custom turbos and not a 911 Turbo that has the best engineering behind it.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

·
Registered
366 Posts
STIPPERS STRIPPERS STRIPPERS!!!!..

just playing..i agree with most of the guys here..just save up for the DET because all the other mods (CAI,CAMS,EXHAUST unless its going to be 3" ready for turbo, headers) will be useless after dropping in a turbo..you should shop around for a DET at SE-R.net because i remember seeing a few DET's for around $1800..but dont forget the freight and labor to install..but just save save and save for that DET.. =)

·
since 2001
525 Posts
Go big and save up for the DET. Those N/A bolt ons may give you alittle power but nothing compared to having a DET under the hood.

From the sounds of things you are trying to do too much at once and it's getting expensive. Go with a cheap intercooler and clutch for the time being. Take it one step at a time and eventually you will see a nice car come together.

charles.

[This message has been edited by hybrid D E T (edited 06-02-2001).]

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
IMHO, Either save for a Fmax kit, or go all out with the C series cams, springs, and retainers. That plus the ECU is the biggest n/a h.p. increase that I know of.

------------------
96 se-r with a few goodies

·
Registered
118 Posts
ok, that is an even better idea, keep saving and get the F-Max. Especially if your engine is in good shape. If not, go DET.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys,

The F-max is obviously great. But it seems to me that a DET comes with a lot of extra power(over the DE) and the benifts of being an extra engine and the piston squirters. Won't it be more reliable in the long run?

GHB

1 - 15 of 15 Posts