SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The diagnostic at Nissan came up with the reason my NX is running so crappy. they said that the oil tubes under my valve cover are totally clogged so my cams etc are not getting the oil that they need, which is causing the ticking sound. the 2 tubes are 33 bucks each, and they suggest changing the valve cover gasket while its off. they quoated me 1.5 hours of labor at 78 bucks per hour. is this an easy fix for me to do or should i just take it in?

------------------
Daniel K
93 NX2000 w/ intake, clear bumper lenses and more to come!!!!!

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well interesting how they claim that would cause a loss of power. Guess it could, but I would like to know how they know without cracking the valve cover and takeing the oil tubes off. But yea you could probaly do it yourself. Couple bolts here and there, off comes the valve cover. Couple bolts tubes come off. Torque wrench and torque the new ones on and then replace the gasket, it should lay in place i think, never done it myself then torque the valve cover down. I dont know for sure on that whole proecss. Ive gota do it myself sometime soon.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know for sure that he didnt take the valve cover off. So how big are the tubes and are they in plain sight? he also said that you can't clean these tubes and that they have to be replaced. Man, i dont even know what a torque wrench is!!! I don't do much engine work at all.

------------------
Daniel K

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
Dealerships never clean or fix parts like that. They just replace the parts to get more cash out of people and to have a higher turn over for the day. I used to work at a dodge dealer ship when I was in high school for a bit some things they do can be shady.. So if you take it to them you have to demand that they clean it.
For reasons like that I never take my car to a shop unless I can not fix it my self.

·
Registered
909 Posts
No offence here but if you dont even know what a torque wrwnch is there is no need for you to be doing things of this nature by yourself.

MarC

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vegita:
I know for sure that he didnt take the valve cover off. So how big are the tubes and are they in plain sight? he also said that you can't clean these tubes and that they have to be replaced. Man, i dont even know what a torque wrench is!!! I don't do much engine work at all.

</font>
They are about a 1/4 inch wide, and follow your cams. They are on top of the cams. A torque wrench(sorry, but i cant believe you dont even know what that is!) is an adjustable socket wrench used to tighten bolts to a specified torque range. if you dont know what the bolts for the oil tubes or VC should be torqued to, ask your dealer to look it up in their service manual.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, quit burnin me!!!! I drive an sr20de so im in an sr20de forum, this isnt a mechanic forum, I just change the easy stuff, Im not good at engine stuff, i wish i was but I'm not!!!!

------------------
Daniel K

·
Registered
909 Posts
Im sorry I do not mean to flame you but I just dont want to see anything happen that you will regret.

MarC

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats why i usually just take it in. Ive never had to take a car into the shop before. All my hondas ran perfectly fine from the day i bought them till the day I sold or traded them in. this NX is the biggest problem car ive invested in. I just hope it ends up paying off in the long run.

------------------
Daniel K

·
8,148 Posts
Thats why i usually just take it in. Ive never had to take a car into the shop before. All my hondas ran perfectly fine from the day i bought them till the day I sold or traded them in. this NX is the biggest problem car ive invested in. I just hope it ends up paying off in the long run.

</font>

·
8,148 Posts

</font>

·
8,148 Posts

</font>
Tell me about it. The Classicisa much better built car than the NX. I owned both so I know. I have a NX now, it takes soo much attention. I am seriously considering buying a G20 and boosting it. Seriously.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The diagnostic at Nissan came up with the reason my NX is running so crappy. they said that the oil tubes under my valve cover are totally clogged so my cams etc are not getting the oil that they need, which is causing the ticking sound. </font>
Ask him if he actually took off the VC to verify this first. and then ask him why he didnt just clean them! All you have to do is take off the VC, and take out the tubes. CVlean the tubes wiht throttle body cleaner. Just spray em down let em soak, wipe em, spray em, till you think thye are clean enough. then put em back in and torque everythign down. i do suggest getting a new VC gasket if the vc has never been removed before. The only thingk youll need is a torque wrench and tb cleaner if you dont already have it. hey a torque wrench may cost 70 bucks, but think of all the times you can use it after this one. it makes it worth it. i have 2

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
My NX is doing rather well considering its 9 years old and its bin across Canada a few times by the last owner and I drive it pretty hard my self. I haven't had a problem with it other than regular maintenance and parts expected to ware out.
I think its a really good car its holding up better than my old mans 89 3500 1 ton Chevy, and my moms 93 Altima, and they have less mileage or about the same as my NX.

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nick:
My NX is doing rather well considering its 9 years old and its bin across Canada a few times by the last owner and I drive it pretty hard my self. I haven't had a problem with it other than regular maintenance and parts expected to ware out.
I think its a really good car its holding up better than my old mans 89 3500 1 ton Chevy, and my moms 93 Altima, and they have less mileage or about the same as my NX.
</font>

It could be because my car is white. I don't know what it is about white cars but they attract rust. Any way my NX has stress cracks all over the car in different places like around the door adjuster, around the door frame, my old hood had stress cracks where it bolted to the hinge(s), my hatch has a crack where the rear wiper motor is attached to it. I love the NX but it took a lot to stop the wind noise and leaky drivers door moulding.

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
My NX is white too.... I havn't had any stress cracks on my car exspet one on my spoiler where it gets pushed on to much from closing the hatch, nore any rust.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Im thinking bout buyin an NX for a beater car, so who cares if mine has cracks or rust, hehe. Il just have it to drive to work and beat the piss out of

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Greddy cat-back, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
50 Posts
Damn, Ive had my nx for over 2 years now and I have NEVER had to fix anything once. The only work Ive done is putting mods on it. Its great. Stop the NX bashing. Hondas blow. And Pretty white...c'mon, we all know the se-r is not built better than the nx. The NX is superior.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts