SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is starting slower and slower each time and I fear Im going to get stranded sometime soon. When the car was running mikes techtom said 14.3v and the battery is just over a year old so I dont think it would be that.

Starter going out on me?

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Yup, probably your starter. Mine did the same thing. I had about 2 days before it went once it started to get really slow.

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Best one to get? OEM or advance autoparts?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Check your starter wires, connections. If there's corrosion, that causes resistance (slow starter speed). But most likely the solenoid is causing the problem. Buy a starter, reman or OEM. They all break down, they all squeal, one is not better than the other (Mitsu vs. Hitachi). I've had them all, Nissan just engineered the starter in a bad location.

·
-John-
690 Posts
My starter did the exact same thing on me before, few days later wouldn't start:(...change it before it goes out the rest of the way. It looks hard to do on the b13 se-r tho...i seen my starter and how wedged it was and thought damn...

·
No D E T.
1,436 Posts
ah the b13's starter is'nt bad at all to change, the b14s are a pain with the lowport intake manifold bracket.

get a used starter from dre or jgy. under 60 for a starter taken off a JDM engine.

·
SouthPaw
2,022 Posts
When my starter died last year i had to walk home, my dad borught me to my car and showed me a trick. If you take a rod and tap the starter a few times while turning the key(TAKES TWO PEOPLE) it will work, but this can only be done 2-3 times b4 all is lost with your starter

·
Charlie Brown look alike
3,825 Posts
Changing the starter Blair is dirt easy especially if you can get two people doing it. One on top and one on the bottom of the car.

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Peanuthead said:
Changing the starter Blair is dirt easy especially if you can get two people doing it. One on top and one on the bottom of the car.

from what i can remember from my swap, its going to be easiest to do it under the car.

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
PArk on a hill. The starter went out in the B12 I had in high school and I parekd on a hill for almost a month

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
the starter isnt all that hard to get too...just reach up there from underneath. although I have never taken it fully out of the car, I have moved it out of the way for a tranny swap.

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FastNX said:
PArk on a hill. The starter went out in the B12 I had in high school and I parekd on a hill for almost a month
I parked on one near my house. now i need to find one near work. that might be kinda tricky.

·
Registered
224 Posts
How the hell do you get to the bolts for the starter? I've removed all the intake stuff up to the throttle body on my NX and still can't figure out where the damn bolts are.

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
look for the round lump right under the TB. the two bolts to each side of it are the ones you need to loosen.

·
Power to spare...
979 Posts
blairellis said:
look for the round lump right under the TB. the two bolts to each side of it are the ones you need to loosen.
Take it apart and fix it yourself like I did. Like $20 to do it by buying the brush plate. Mine did the EXACT same thing yours did back in September. It is soooooo easy to open and fix. If you can stick a pencil in a sharpner you can do this.

Give me your VIN number and I can tell you the exact Nissan part number to order. While your in there clean it up and buy some Moly fortified grease to lube it up like new. It will be a 1000% times better than any Autocrap or Advance Crap Parts any day.

This is the first starter of all the cars I have owned all my life to try to fix on my own. I will NEVER EVER buy another one again, so long as it is servicable and I can get parts for whatever brand it is.

If you have any questions I'll be glad to help.

Thomas

1 - 20 of 21 Posts