SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone can help on this, but any ideas couldnt hurt. This morning I went out to my car, disengaged the parking brake, and went to drive off, but realized my parking brake wasnt actually disengaged. so heres the problem: the parking brake lever goes down, but feels very loose and the brake never actually disengages. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Danny

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
HMMMM, interesting.
I would take off the cover the brake handle and inspect in there. Then I would take off the back tires and see whats going on back there. Maybe slap it with a hammer a couple times and see if it becomes unstuck.
Good luck!!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I dissasembled the handle and everything seems to be in working order. But it appears that there is absolutely no tension on the brake cable itself. I guess the problem is in the cable or the brakes themselves locking up. I suppose the next step is to remove the wheels and have a looksey in there.

[This message has been edited by white92ser (edited 07-22-2001).]

·
Registered
146 Posts
this happened on my '93 but it wasn't the cable the caliper locked up...pull the wheels and you will see the mechanism on the caliper you can pry the lever so it will free up or just remove the cable to each caliper...i would suggest the second then go buy a new cable it probably needs replacing.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know exactly what's wrong....your caliper piston is stuck. A lot of times it's from contamination. You can try moving it, if it will.

·
Registered
450 Posts
niska is right. It is stuck. If they are frozen they are expensive to replace

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by niska:
I know exactly what's wrong....your caliper piston is stuck. A lot of times it's from contamination. You can try moving it, if it will. </font>

------------------
Erik, 94 Classic with goodies
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I pulled the wheel and managed to get the brake unstuck. Everything seems to be working fine for now. Thanks for the help
Danny

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
allright!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the update!!!!
I will sleep better tonight!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts