SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just the other day i was driving to work, My car felt like it was loosing power, the lights were diming everytime i drove faster and faster, Next the thing the you know the the engine starts bogging and dies out,

I got it towed home and try to figure the problem, i bought new cap & rotors and founded out that wasn't the problem. everytime i was turning the key, there was this clicking sound like click click click, it was really fast,

Then i decided to jump it and it runned, but it WAS BOGGING like if the compression in one of the cylinder died??....the more gas i gave it the more it started to bogg and lag....if i let go of the gas it would die

I have a feeling that it could be a spun bearing or a maybe a fuel injector
or maybe one of the pistons compression is down?????

I know that the starter worked fine casue i turned the car on with no problem,
I know that the alternator is fine casue i just got a new one last year in JAN,

What could it be?..:(

I need some advice......THANKS I WOULD APPRECIATE IT :biggthump

·
SR powered S13 coupe
6,728 Posts
Alternator is dead... maybe the battery, but I am betting it's the alternator. The clicking is the sound of the relays that aren't getting enough voltage.

Find someone with a DVM (voltage meter) and check the voltage at the battery after you jump start it. with the car running it should be at 14.8V, this is the output of the alternator. with the car turned off you should see 12-12.8V, this is the battery voltage.

If you had a bad battery, you would still be able to drive the car once started...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll probably have to go test my alt then....

i guess that just must be why my lights dimmed out and that might just answer Why the car was misfiring(Not enough eletric flow)*

Well Thanks.........

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got Alt but still won't start?

Its stalls, and makes that buzzing and grinding noise.....
and also still clicks...

?????????? Any suggestions?...

Starter?
Alt?

Anyone ever had the same problem?

·
love the Florida sun!!
1,906 Posts
Did you recharge your battery?

very true, if its the same battery then even with a new alt. it wont have enuff juice to power the starter ... failed compression or spun a rod is worst case scenario

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actauly i jumped the car?.....

It just stalls?

·
HATER
563 Posts
you ran your battery dry. jumping the car doesn't do a damn thing. it'll take forever before your alternator can recharge your battery from dead while opperating everything else.

charge your battery. then get your electrical system tested. free at most auto parts stores. they'll even charge your battery if you ask nice

1 - 8 of 8 Posts