SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried to use vise grips and wrenches on stuck piston lock nuts before. It doesn't work very well.

Go find someone with an impact gun, if your car isn't taken apart or you can find a ride. I went to a local mechanic I know, and he let me use his air wrench real quick to loosen them.

Edit: The thought occured to me that you may merely be needing a way to access the nut. After all, you have to put nut back on at some point, too.

You might just have to bite the bullet and buy the offset end wrenches.

[This message has been edited by JimR (edited 09-08-2001).]

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Ok... if your like me it takes a whole saturday to replace struts... er uh one strut. Anyways i did the left rear cause im still waiting for the thrust bearings for the front... i had no troubles until that top nut... by the way i had no vise... no impact wrench.. and i even had to go out and buy a 17 mm socket.. then i used visegrips and tried to hold the shaft and turn the nut with my soccet... i used a "breaker bar" and still couldnt budge it... finally after spraying it with wd40 i tried it again... no luck... so i went to a buddy of mines and used his vice.. i guess by that time the wd40 worked its way in cause it came off like a charm without the vice.. hehe... moral of my story? Have the right tools and be patient... Any ways wish me luck as i tackle the other rear strut tommorrow...im going for a record time... 7 hrs

[This message has been edited by Black93 (edited 09-08-2001).]

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what it's like to go without a vise. The first time I swapped struts on my car I used my Dad's garage and his bench vise, which made things easier. But one time I was in a pinch and had to swap a collapsed spring at sitting on the floor at home - it was no fun working a spring compressor holding the strut assembly with my legs. That took forever.

Make sure not to use the vise grips on the rod of the new struts. I've read that gouging the polished surface can compromise the seals and shorten the life of the strut.

·
Low flying black object
669 Posts
Go buy a 17mm drop wrench, or it's also called an S wrench...it will drop down in the hole...and then use another to hold the shaft..or soak it then use an impact..

------------------
Brad B. 96 SE-R
PR CAI,HS Gen 4,GReddy Catback, ACT,ES motor mnts,1.8 dropw/AGX's,F&R STB's,17deg timing,91 intake cam,NGK wires,205/40/17 Kumho 712's,SMC short shifter,Royal Purple synthetics..AND A VANILLA AIR FRESHENER!

·
Registered
909 Posts
My friend and I replaced both frount struts on my car to day in less than 1 1/2 hours. That was with no vise. We also had to use the vise grip method on the old ones.

------------------
MarC
93 NX2000
JWT POP charger
15.5 1/4 mile

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Any body got any techniues for getting the top nut off the strut... i am trying to get the rears off and i dont have an offset wrench all i got i socket...i have been trying to grab the strut tube thing with vise grips at the top but im just sliding around HELP!! Please

·
Registered
729 Posts
Is it the big center nut that you're talking about??If so try loosening it while it's still on the car..But make sure you don't remove it totaly,just loosen..that'll make it come off with ease.....

------------------
2k SE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts