SR20 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lost my alternator belt and limped home. Got in there today to replace and find that my alternator is hanging from the adjusting bolt assembly.

What size bolt(s) do I need to bolt it back up to the engine block? Are there one or two bolts required?

I went to the Napa store and they sold me a "generic import alternator bolt kit" (it was a place to start). Both were too long to insert from the outside (wheel side). Then I noticed the flange on the other side of the alternator and the hole running through what the FSM calls the alternator plate. Both bolts too short to run the entire length.

So, I go back to Napa and exchange for one bolt long enough to go all the way through both alternator flanges and the alternator plate hole. I insert from the inside (engine side) and get most the way through and run into threads (on the outside alternator flange???). So now I'm back to thinking I just need one short bolt from the outside into those threads and call it good. But what about the other side of the alternator?

TIA
Keith

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
I'm pretty sure there are three bolts that connect directly to the alternator. Two bolts are just opposite of each other on the bottom flanges. It isn't a single "through" bolt straight from the factory, at least.

The third bolt is the one that is used for adjusting, and it slides inside the top curved bracket. When it's loose, the alt pivots on the two lower bolts.

Oh, and the alt bracket attaches to the engine with two bolts.

I don't have any idea what type or size these are, though. Get them at a junkyard? Maybe the dealer?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KUDOS TO COURTESY!!

While trying to figure out the answer to my question above, I was on the Courtesy Parts website (http://www.worldparts.com/courtesynissan/). When I queried for a part number, I also sent an email (without knowing it) to the parts department.

Surprise, surprise, I get an email from Courtesy Parts department asking me for more details on what I'm looking for. I send them back an email telling them what's up and what I'm trying to do. A little while later, I get a .bmp file from Courtesy showing me exactly what I need, part numbers and all.

Great job Courtesy and thanks to whomever is working on a holiday and willing to help out a guy a couple thousand miles away.

Keith

1 - 3 of 3 Posts