SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a black hose about 1 inch in diameter coming out of the air box what do I do with it? I put a breather filter on it but now my idle is ****ed up. Please help

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
wtf? i put a breather on mine and it works fine...just reset your idle, i say. make sure the breather is firmly attached..

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by G20/300zx:
There is a black hose about 1 inch in diameter coming out of the air box what do I do with it? I put a breather filter on it but now my idle is ****ed up. Please help </font>

What tube? Do you have an aftermarket filter? If you have the stock airbox it belongs on the EGR AIV box
Please explain more

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I just put and aftermarket filter on but I don't have a place for that black hose that was connected to the stock airbox, and I think it is messing up my idle. Do I have to reset the ECU? or what do I do with the black hose, I have a breather on it now.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the tube connect to the airbox or the intake hose?
I had to drill a hole in my ..ehem.... PVC and stick that tube in there in order to get the correct idle. A breather filter WILL NOT work. Why?, I have no idea!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it was connected to the air box. what is ehem? is that the rubber hose between the TB and the AFM if so how did you connect 2 rubber hoses together?

·
8,148 Posts
it was connected to the air box. what is ehem? is that the rubber hose between the TB and the AFM if so how did you connect 2 rubber hoses together?</font>
He was "ehem" choughing. I assume he was talking about his homemade PVC intake.

There are 4 hoses on the stock intake. The one that leads to the front of the engine you remove and put a filter on the small AIV reed. The thin one (1/4") connects to the intake manifold. The largest one you don't need. It is just a air muffler. Discard that one cause it leads to a dead box on top of the clutch lever (assuming you have a CAI). If not plug it up with a anti-freeze bottle top and a clamp. The other one that is next to the 1/4" hoe is the idle speed controller. You must connect that one back up to the intake hose. Then there is one thet connects to the valve cover. That one is self explanitory.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
boy do I feel like a dumbass "ehem". I don't have CAI just a K&N filter and the adapter plate. I took the stock airbox off and there was a hose coming out of it going to a little black box on the front of the engine, so this is just a dummy box or something? Just plug the hose with a cap?

·
Registered
723 Posts
that little jug thing is a resonator--its just there to lower the intake noises.

take that out, throw it away, and stuff a cap in there. an avg. sized beverage cap should work well -- gatorade, etc....

theres also a larger resonator in the wheel well behind the dirt shield--but u needen't worry about that

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
....EHEM.....lol

Resonator?
Is that what this all was about?
That damn resonator needs to be thrown out and burned. You dont need it. I tyhought you were talking about the idle speed controller.
Well, I hope we were all able to help you out. Stop laughing about my PVC!! Damn it!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wait a minute.
How did the resonator mess up your idle?
hmmmmm..... have you got the problem fixed yet?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't got the problem fixed yet and its getting me real frustrated! maybe its not the resonator that is the problem. I changed the oil the other day and I think that may be the problem. I didn't have a funnel and I was pouring out of a 6qt bottle and I got a little bit of oil around the spark plug boot so I took a metal rod and a towel and shoved it down there to see if there was any oil down there and there was a little bit so I changed all the spark plugs and its still doing it. Any advice on what to do next? I appreciate everyone's help.

·
8,148 Posts
boy do I feel like a dumbass "ehem". I don't have CAI just a K&N filter and the adapter plate. I took the stock airbox off and there was a hose coming out of it going to a little black box on the front of the engine, so this is just a dummy box or something? Just plug the hose with a cap?</font>
OK, that said you need a small K&N filter to put there. Lookey here and you will see, OK BRB.....................

OK here is what I see..
http://www.angelfire.com/ny/ianjiggyroom/images/NXmotor1.JPG

You see that little filter by the radiator fan, I assume that is what you are talking about.
Here is another one....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts