SR20 Forum banner

Help!

550 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Chris93SER 
#1 ·
My Hotshot header was installed tonight, and the mechanic who did it said there had to be a lot of changes made in order to get it to be put on properly. I drove the car home and there is a VERY loud metallic buzzing sound at low RPM when accelerating (around 2500-3000). I don't know if this is normal or not, but it sounds like absolute ****! I don't know what the heck to do. Anyone with the newest generation Hotshot header, please respond. Thank you.

------------------
1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R (5-Speed Manual)
STILLEN Hi-Flow Intake
STILLEN Performance Exhaust
Hotshot Racing Header
Kosei K1 Silver Racing Wheels
Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Tires

[This message has been edited by Chris93SER (edited 08-08-2001).]

#4 ·
There's a piece of metal that hangs down in the front of the car near where the Header runs (at least there is on the NX). I had to bend this out of the way to get the ?Header to fit. If it didn't get bent all the way out of the way, the header might still making contact with it. The other rattle I had was coming from my catalytic converter heat shield. I just removed that.

Ben
'93 NX

#5 ·
Thanks, I just checked. Nothing appears to be anywhere near the header or downpipe. Upon further inspection, the only things that the mechanic had to bend were the AIV pipe and the oil dipstick. That damn noise makes me so mad. The header looks like it's installed flawlessly, and to have that annoying buzzing sound just pisses me off. Oh, and my catalytic converter shield was removed a long time ago.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NXBen:
There's a piece of metal that hangs down in the front of the car near where the Header runs (at least there is on the NX). I had to bend this out of the way to get the ?Header to fit. If it didn't get bent all the way out of the way, the header might still making contact with it. The other rattle I had was coming from my catalytic converter heat shield. I just removed that.

Ben
'93 NX
</font>
------------------
STILLEN Hi-Flow Intake
Hotshot Racing Header

[This message has been edited by Chris93SER (edited 08-09-2001).]

#6 ·
How much did he bend the EGR tube? I know thta mine hit the radiator fan and took a nice chunk out of it. It wasn't exactly a rattling noise. You might want to warm the car up and check for clearance.

Also, you might want to re-check the bolts. I believe they need to be re-torqued after a week or so.

Ben
'93 NX

#7 ·
The AIV tube is the one that he had to bend (it is plugged into the bottom most hole on the front of the header; the o2 sensor is directly above it. The AIV tube is about 3 inches below the radiator fan (good amount of clearance). The EGR tube is very short and is plugged directly into the furthest right pipe on the header.

Please correct me if I am wrong about the setup, because I may very well be. Judging by the installation instructions, and following the pipes back from the header, that's how it looks like it is set up.

When it comes to the manifold studs, 7 of them have yolks between the nut and the header. The left-middle one does not have a yolk, because the weld around the 2nd pipe was too close to the stud hole in order to fit one there. There is just a nut on the left-middle one. All bolts seem to be torqued tightly.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NXBen:
How much did he bend the EGR tube? I know thta mine hit the radiator fan and took a nice chunk out of it. It wasn't exactly a rattling noise. You might want to warm the car up and check for clearance.

Also, you might want to re-check the bolts. I believe they need to be re-torqued after a week or so.

Ben
'93 NX
</font>
------------------
STILLEN Hi-Flow Intake
Hotshot Racing Header

[This message has been edited by Chris93SER (edited 08-09-2001).]

#8 ·
When it comes to the manifold studs, 7 of them have yolks between the nut and the header. The left-middle one does not have a yolk, because the weld around the 2nd pipe was too close to the stud hole in order to fit one there. There is just a nut on the left-middle one. All bolts seem to be torqued tightly.

quote:Hey mine has the same prob! but i didn't have the same kind of noise. mine sounds more like a small v8 engine around 6500 rpm's.

#9 ·
Guys, I have a feeling the header is leaking from some place. The noise has gotten even worse and is present throughout the power band now. Once you give it gas, a buzzing/hissing sound can be heard from about 2500 RPM all the way to redline. This is DEFINITELY not normal. I will have the mechanic who did the installation come for a ride to hear the noise for himself. Any ideas of where the leak could be coming from? Everything seems to be sealed pretty tight.

------------------
STILLEN Hi-Flow Intake
Hotshot Racing Header

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.