SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I raced my friends ls integra it is stock 5spd. I have 1996 200sx SE-R a gready catback, act clutch, CAI. He walked me like my car was standing still. Like I was going against a funny car. In the far distance I saw a twinkle of light as he left my view. :mad: It was absolutly crazy. At the next light a toyota tercel beat me. I am not lieing. I am pissed. I just got this car and I know this car is not suppose to be this slow. I have changed the front o2 sensor, spark plugs and checked the gap, wires, rotor, distributer cap, oil, Timming done at nissan, fuel filter, EGR valve checked. No leaks in any hoses. MAF is ok nissan checked. The car smells rich and my car boggs around 3500 to 4500 rpms. It seems like the car is misfireing throughout the rpm range on every gear. Is my engine gone :( ? Do I need to reset my ECU??? Is this electrical? I have searched but found no answers. Please help me solve my problem. This may also help others with the same problem. If not I am just getting a new engine.

·
Learn to swim
1,043 Posts
Beofre the thread gets shut down for street racing stories, Ill get one in. Try regrounding your MAF. It sounds like that may be your problem.
Instructions: http://www.se-r.net/engine/maf_ground.html

Good luck, Josh

·
Still not my president
5,173 Posts
tune up, oil change reground your maf and remove your exhaust from the cat back

·
Registered
405 Posts
Get a compression check... sounds like my motor when I first got my car. Yoiu prob have a build up of carbon on the valves... did the owner before you drive that a panzy because that is what causes carbon build-up??? Just get on thecar for a few months everything will be fine.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will try to ground the MAF Thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
still nothing grounded the MAF today. could it be the tps sensor? The ECU is throwing me no codes. I know someone figured this out. There ara alot of posts on this.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ohhhhh S***T I know I can get a better respone no one can help???

·
Red line chaser
2,040 Posts
Compression and leakdown test would be first on the list.
Any check engine lights? I can't imagine an SE-R that underpowered without a major problem somewhere. Even when I had an incredibly heavy stereo in the car and was rolling on obnoxiously heavy chrome 16's, I still wasn't that slow.

·
TT Tuning
1,977 Posts
pluged cat?????????drop the cat and take it for a rip

·
midnight_marauder
395 Posts
advance the timing a little. and clean out your intake plenum, that did wonders for me, my car was running like crap before....and get headers =)

·
natural81
482 Posts
afstegg said:
pluged cat?????????drop the cat and take it for a rip

i agree with afstegg, u say it bogs at a certain rpm at wot. i would guess the exhuast first. can you rev up the motor smothly in netural pass that rpm?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NO the rpms kind of stager as I rev. The previous owner said he gutted the cat could that be a problem

·
I love Katamari
1,187 Posts
gutting the cat is the stupidest thing you can do - it slows down your exhaust gases, choking your engine and killing your power - go to a junkyard and get a stock cat asap

·
Bitter Old Man
2,626 Posts
And stop streetracing before you kill someone!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
When the Nissan $tealership did the timing did ya get the printout from the consult? That would help alot. Oh and quit street racing.

·
TT Tuning
1,977 Posts
Bjorn said:
gutting the cat is the stupidest thing you can do - it slows down your exhaust gases, choking your engine and killing your power - go to a junkyard and get a stock cat asap
?????????????how does gutting the cat SLOW down exhaust flow.. correct me if im wrong. take a straw put one end in your mouth and blow.......now take that same straw and put your finger on the hole on the other end...how does that flow????. It dosen't!!!! By gutting the cat your only going to get one wheel hp..... w/ a pluged cat you'll lose power.

now how are the tune up parts? cap,rotor,plugs,wires and fuel filter.i've had probs with aftermarket cap and rotors.

Tim :D

·
natural81
482 Posts
check your timming to see if its correct. if it is check exhuast. i quessing whoever gutted the cat may of missed some of it and broke loose and is restriciting the flow. you want to diagnoise it your self find a place before the cat and remove it. start it and rev it up. if it revs up smothly its your cat or your muffler. also, remove your plug wires see if there soaked in oil. if they are the oil is cause the spark to arc (seen it happen on an altima) replace gasket and o-rings. do these steps and see what you get....

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Check for cam wear , If the previous owner or you dont change the oil enough , or it doesnt get into the RPM enough , it could have plugged cam oilers causing the cams to wear flat , you can check it easy by poping the oil cap and looking inside , if the cam at the top of the lobe has any lip on the edges , you need new cams and oil tubes... I see this alot , mainly on the g20's , but a few sentras also .... That will cause a rough idle and or a loss of power ...Or another thing would be cam timing .....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts