until 4000rpm. The weather conditions tonight were very humid and it rained
heavy earlier. This is also the first time it has rained since I installed
my CAI. The car was in a gargae when it rained, and when I drove home, it
was humid and hazy, but no rain. I have my driverside fog light removed for
air flow. Could this be a CAI related problem? I also have a thumping
sound coming from the floorboard when I let off the throttle at around
4000rpm, shifting or just taking my foot off the gas. I removed my ES motor
mount on the bottom and may have left something loose, but I will check in
the morning. Any insight on either of these problems would help. Thanks.

Eric Waterman
'96 SE-R w/ grin inducing goodies.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
That clunking sound could be the lower tube of the CAI shifting in the hole as the motor moves. I recently took mine apart, put POR15 on some spaces that had rubbed, then wrapped the part that rubs with blue pinstriping. No more clunking for me.
I dont know about your hesitiation. Make sure your lower tube and MAF adapter are flush.

I have a question for you, and other CAI guys. Do you have any space between the filter and the engine wall? My filter is pressed up against this wall. I'm thinking about adding some larger holes to this wall to make sure I'm not restricting the filter. I dont think warm engine air will be an issue. Tell me what you think.

Jacen

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I first thought out the CAI hitting when off the gas. I fixed it from the last time you saw it. I put flex-loom tubing around the hole, and moved it away from the battery. The CAI hitting may have loosened the joint between the MAF and the lower pipe, so I will check that out.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I've been driving around the last couple days on the WAI setup. I've noticed this before, but I paid extra attention this time. The car is more responsive below 4000 rpm on the short stack, but there definately isn't as much power above 4500rpm. By butt dyno, anyway.

I guess you could call the CAI response below 4000 rpm hesitation. Maybe it takes a little longer to build intake air velocity with the long tube??

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the MAF ground and it was at 14mv. I regrounded it, and the hesitation went away. The thumping sound was the top bolt on the "dog bone" mount was loose. You could see where the bolt was moving around. I'll have to try the WAI setup soon, but that CAI at WOT sounds so mean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts