SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ever since I got my SE-R has had this hesitaion thing. Below 3000 rpms it is like a turtle then right about 3 or so it zooms. It is not my EGR...removed....I just cleaned the TB...like if I put it in 1st, then slow to almost a stop and mash the gas...it does hesitates like a mofo and crawls to 3k. Sometimes it even shudders around 2500. what could it be???

Thanks, shea.

·
Registered
64 Posts
dude i also had that problem. but after i tighten the throttle cable just alittle to almost hvaing no play in the wire my response has improved and the hesitation has decrease. o yeah forgive spelling it sucks i know.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Im telling you its your timing. Mine did EXACTLY that. Cause the nissan ecu pulls timing out when you stomp it(tip in). It pulls up to 5 degrees of timing out and then feeds it back in once it sees its not going to detonate. if you are below 15 at all you will get horrible hesitation. I would get another se-r guy that works on them alot to check it for you. Mine was off and I checked it myself to be 15, Eric found it to be like 13 or lower. So if it pulls out timing it takes a few seconds to get it back, by then you are around 3000 rpms. You can ask Eric, my car was scary to drive if you had to move quickly from a stop. Im sure if you are near anyone they will help you.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha, I wish...

So My timing is probably off? Now willl it keep getting off track or will it stay at 15 or 17 if I get cams

I really wanna get this fixed. Also did the over-all exceleration improve when you got it fixed?

Thanks, shea. Can a dealer do this?

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Yes it was like night and day when we set it back to 15. You can take it to a dealer and haven them set it but thats always taking your cars life in you own hands IMHO. Those monkey sometimes dont know a tie rod end from a connnecting rod. I would ask and see if there are any other se-r people in you area. I dont know where you are at(state) or I could recomend someone. Most se-r people can set the timing, execpt me it seems. You will want the timing to be dead nuts on 15 if you dont want to run preimum. 17 if you dont mind paying the anal raping you get with premimum. And then you will want to check the timing again when you put the cams in since you may screw things up with the install. And then the cams like 15 degrees espcialy with a JWT ECU. You can take your chances with a dealer, and the price they will charge. Or find someone around you willing to help, usualy for a 6 pack I have found out.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does running the timing at 17 have any other adverse affects?? because I wouldn't mind paying the extra gas for added performance

YOU SAID:"And then the cams like 15 degrees espcialy with a JWT ECU."

I do not understand

Thanks for all the info too. I was wondering what the hell was going on with my SR20!!!

[This message has been edited by Sheabird (edited 06-06-2001).]

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sheabird:
Below 3000 rpms it is like a turtle then right about 3 or so it zooms.</font>
maybe you have a big turbo and it takes it a while to spool up

i wish i had that problem!

------------------
Serban Gavrilescu
91 Black Metallic SE-R
http://www.geocities.com/serban91r

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Yea you can pick up one or two hp by going to 17 degrees BTDC o nthe timing. You can go up as far as 19 but without being on a dyno you dont know if you are actualy making any power up that high. Some engines make more power some do not, mostly it just crisps up the throttle response so butt dyno will tell you that you are making more, when you may not be.

As for the comment about 15 degrees. You said would timing change if you got cams. Well the JWT S3's like 15 degrees if you have a JWT ECU. They want it to be sit right on 15...they will take a little advance if you dont have a JWT ECU. But with the ECU they want the timing to be 15 for the most power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts