SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i duno much bout engines, but i noticed that for some part applications they have it divided up for the classic se-rs between 91-91(hi port) and 93-94(lo port) what does this refer to?

·
8,148 Posts
KikoSanchez182 said:
hey i duno much bout engines, but i noticed that for some part applications they have it divided up for the classic se-rs between 91-91(hi port) and 93-94(lo port) what does this refer to?
Easy, high port means the injectors are on the top and low port the injectors are below the plenium. Wierd but true. Don't ask me who decided what would be high and low, that just the way it is.:confused:

·
Registered
312 Posts
well the way it works is like this....
on the high port motors (91-93 i believe) the intake ports on the cylinder head enter the cylinder head at a point higher up in the head than on a low port (94 and up).

Its easy enough to tell which is which because the high port motor has the throttle plate mounted down below the curved runners of the manifold and the low port has the throttle plate mounted up high above the intake runners.

pic of a high port:

http://www.se-r.net/multimedia/pictures/sentra_se-r/sean_bruce/mvc-032f.jpg

pic of a low port:

http://www.se-r.net/multimedia/pictures/200sx_se-r/jason_hassinger/engine1.jpg

hope that helps a little bit
Rick

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was wondering today about the highport or lowport on a BB SR20. Do they come both ways or are they all one way or the other? I guess the GTI-R wouldn't be high or low since it has the individual throttle body thing goin on. Anyone knows the answer let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
All the bb and GTiR engines that i have seen are high port engines but they will fit in a low port car without any problems. Of course this is just going from pics that i have seen and one engine i have actually worked on but i do believe that they are all high port engines. For some reason the high ports seem to flow a little better. From what i understand nissan had problems with the fuel puddleing up in the high port engines and that is why they changed the location of the ports. This allowed them to remove some of the emissions stuff on the engines yet still have good emissions.

Anyway hope i answered your question. you may want to ask over in the turbo forum wether all the gtir or bb engines are high port or not. They would know for sure.

Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts