SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys...this could be a tough one...

What is the thread info on a 2001 SR20DE engine oil cap...

Why am I asking?!!...well...by trade I am a student but also a part time machine shop foreman so I have unlimited access to mills, lathes, grinders and etc...I am making myself...(or maybe if I can get a profit...a bunch) of billet Aluminum Oil caps (SOLID 6061-T6)...thus I need to know the thread info on the cap...

Some importants factors...if you can provide it would be nice...

1. Is it metric (I highly suspect)
2. Is it a 60 deg thread (doesn't matter if its round bottom...the key thing is is it 60 deg)
3. I measured the Major diameter of the thread on the cap and its 1.3000"...translates to about 33mm...its got a 3.5 pitch which does exist on a UNF 33-3.5 thread...but I need to be ABSOLUTELY sure that it is metric but not SAE so I can figure out my infeed accordingly...

Mercy Buckets guys/gals...I'll let cha know how it turns out if and when I am successful...

)

The first guy in Toronto to have a 2K1 QM1 coloured Sentra

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
LOL here comes the smart ass answer. If you have access to the machine shop, when you pull in in the morning take off your oil cap. Walk inside,and have it measured
. Seriously. I doubt anyone will be able to give you that specfic of an answer for what you need. And doubt even Nissan tech's at a dealer will know.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually cut a thread on a rod based on the dimension that I had taken from an oil cap that was MOLDED...when parts are molded...they lose their dimensional consistency...a part that is round and moulded can measure 1 inch in diameter in the 3/9 o clock section and measure as much as 0.9 between 6/12...0.1 inch in plastic is not a lot...but in machining...especially threads...0.1 of an inch is like heaven and hell...

now since the cap is plastic...I WAS able to get dimensions but for fear of my dimensions not accurate enough...i am just trying to ask around to see if who's done what i am about to do so that we can compare our dimensions and then I can make according adjustments...

but thanks for your interest n e ways...

·
Registered
858 Posts
ok foreman, you should know every thread should be cut on a lathe with a 60 degree knife. but you really should get a thread gage to be exact. but how are you gonna make the knob part. just round or mill out some notches. for the amount of work it would take, you could buy a nice one for 15-18 bucks. not worth the labor in my opinion. I used to be a machinist using all metals.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! boost is in the works ,hell yeah 3:16!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by redman007:
ok foreman, you should know every thread should be cut on a lathe with a 60 degree knife. but you really should get a thread gage to be exact. but how are you gonna make the knob part. just round or mill out some notches. for the amount of work it would take, you could buy a nice one for 15-18 bucks. not worth the labor in my opinion. I used to be a machinist using all metals.
</font>
Oh I'm sorry...did I spell foreman wrong?...but I dont think anyone here cares...

I think you can also cut square, ACME, and BSW threads on a lathe...all depends on how your tool is ground...

Here comes the interesting part...well...first I center drill both centers and face accordingly...turn down to dia...then turn down the thread portion to the major diameter...then thread...then put it on an indexing head on the mill and cut flutes on it...then back on lathe to part off...SLAM BANG THANK YOU MAM'

I do agree w/the part about 16-18 bucks...maybe its just me, but I like "one-off" stuff...like my billet aluminum cup holder for the 2K1 sentra...and the billet battery tie down...

You use to machine too?...have you used a shaper before?...and do you know what ACME stands for?...no...not the Looney Tones ****...

But thanks for you interest though...
)

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Hey Ive got a billet alum. battery tie down
Free too

------------------
Thats my opinion and I could be wrong

93 classic
Aztec Red, Automatic, POP, STB, OEC battery tie down, AD22VF's, Pirelli P4000's

·
Registered
858 Posts
I used to make my own custom shapes for tools also made custom billet pieces for Harley davidsons. for steinway harley. working on custom engine pieces for my se-r as well changed jobs now but have limited access to milling machines and 4' lathes. love metal working!

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! boost is in the works ,hell yeah 3:16!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts