SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving back home today from out of town there were six deer bounding across the highway and one hit me. Basically ran into the driver front corner of my car from the left of me, me going 50mph, and I knocked it back over to the left side of the road in pieces. My wheel had quite a bit of positive(?) camber now (top of wheel in, bottom out), fender is heavily damaged, clear corner destroyed along with the bulb, bumper split on the side, and hood minorly dented. The head flopped over on my hood and made a wide shallow dent on the driver's side, about 25% of it has this shallow dent. The fender trim only rubs when I go over bumps, but the steering wheel must be cocked 45 degrees over counter-clockwise and the steering is really loose. Looking under the hood I see the place where the support bar that is directly above the radiator and connects near the battery is slightly out of alignment, and the to "cubes" that help hold or align the headlight have been pulled out of the headlight and bent. The tierod looked straight at a glance. Dunno exactly is bent/damaged causing my super camber. Car was drivable. I drove it about 2 miles to a body shop I've used in the past.

My fiancee and her friend were travelling behind me and saw me knock the deer into the air and back to where it ran from. Got a police report and stuff. I was planning on driving to Atlanta for another business trip on Wednesday in my car, but looks like the rental I will get will take me there.

I look at it this way. The paint on my front bumper and hood were not in good shape to begin with since the previous owner of the car didn't take good care of it, so the bumper will get replaced and the hood repainted.

I'm going back outta town to my parents house where the car is and staying there tonight so I can deal with the insurance company tomorrow and get a rental car, and I will take pics of it with my digital camera and posting them tonight.

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO

G

·
0 Posts
sorry to hear
dude that ****en sucks, i hate deer now!, how big was that ****er!?
that is a whole shitload of damage, i want to see those pics!

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Damn dude that sucks. My friends have hit deer before, sounds like you got off somewhat lucky. One guy hit it square in the middle destroyed the front, hood, shattered windshield. Did it get any of the intercooler and pipeing? Body work sucks ass for cost. Hope insurance is decent as it usualy is with deer. Sometimes I hate nature dont you ?

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'm still at my parent's house and waiting for the insurance guy to call me back. I have pics, but the cord and software is still on my computer at home. The car still runs perfect. The damage is as I described it, nothing drivetrain/turbo-wise is touched. I will get the pics up whenever I get a rental car and can get home.

·
Registered
858 Posts
**** man. I almost hit one like 4 years ago . the funny thing is my friend saw the deer crossing sign and told me to watch cause deers cross here alot.I started laughing and said just cause there's a sign here you think the deer will just cross here like a crosswalk and ****! then all of a sudden I saw my first deer ever. big ass heavy lookin' **** with crazy ass horns,glowing eyes just starin' at me in the middle of the road. a couple of zigs and zags and I avoided it but now respect the signs. typical city boy attitude. sorry to hear the news hope ya fix it soon. by the size of them I bet they could easily total a car!

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got my stupid computer to download pics from my camera. They are pics number 60 and up in this location:

http://laf.cioe.com/~benbobbo/031101

Uploading the pics now so it will be a little bit for them to get there if you are reading this thread shortly after I posted it. The pics before that are my trip to Atlanta, as well as my road trip to South Carolina when I was bored.

G

·
0 Posts
****, that sucks! I had a co-worker who lives up in one of the "hilltowns" here, who hit a Moose on the way home with her brand-new Explorer(well...It WAS an Explorer). At least you're in one piece and can talk about it...

G

·
0 Posts
i hit a deer in my old mr2. i tell ya it wasn't pretty. 175 lbs and retractable headlights are not a good combo. a few $100 more and it would've been totalled. it just apperared about 3 feet in front of my car doing about 60. the only freakin deer i've seen in over 18 years and i had to hit it.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
at least you did not hit it head on. did you get any good meat off of it at least? (sorry, dumb Texas question)

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

G

·
0 Posts
Well..ser...I hope you didn't damage her Headlights!!
That would be a crime....Was she having problem deciphering the crossing signs? The little people confuse her or something?

G

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by brian:
at least you did not hit it head on. did you get any good meat off of it at least? (sorry, dumb Texas question)

</font>
it almost was head on. i had just enough time to cut the wheel and hit him with the drivers side front. i guess it was just instinct.
actually, no i didn't get any meat off him. apparently, there is some sort of sac or gland that when hit, releases a fluid into the deer that makes the meat gamey and tough. the ironic thing was even with massive injuries, (won't go into details)the deer had enough energy to hop a fence and fall into some bushes. it was quite sad to see. we had to put him out of his misery as painless as we could. there was no way i could leave him like that.

G

·
0 Posts
Ben,

Sorry to hear about your close encounter with the deer. I live in metro Atlanta, and have had to dodge my share of them. I've been lucky so far (knock on wood!)

Are you still coming to Atlanta? If you'd like to hook up and talk cars over a beer while you're here, let me know. You can e-mail me at work at [email protected]

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts