SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't got the NX back from the body shop yet, but I'm wondering how you guys secure the t-tops when driving around. The 98+ Firebirds and Camaros have the ability to lock them in place in the hatch area. We don't have that. So how is it done?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ben98SentraSE:
Haven't got the NX back from the body shop yet, but I'm wondering how you guys secure the t-tops when driving around. The 98+ Firebirds and Camaros have the ability to lock them in place in the hatch area. We don't have that. So how is it done?</font>
There should be a strap mounted in 3 points in the trunk area that is used to hold the T-tops down.

--Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R
1993 NX2000

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah. Do they do a good job of holding them down? Well, I don't have T-Top covers so is stacking them on top of each other a good idea?

·
SR20DE Driver
151 Posts
The straps hold them down pretty well. If you don't have covers I would suggest at least putting a couple of towels on them, one between and one on the top of them. Something I am considering doing is making a VERY light weight wooden holder on hinges for them and covering the whole thing with speaker box carpet and hinging it. It is a pain to have to stuff them in the bags everytime you want them out and this would be quicker and easier. If I do this, I will post some pics for everyone to see.

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
i just stuffed mine on teh back seat. but you have to becarfull when doing that they will scrach the plastic pannals back there. i had no room in my trunk becouse of the subbox.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
how am i supposed to secure my **** down?

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
Registered
97 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nick:
i just stuffed mine on teh back seat. but you have to becarfull when doing that they will scrach the plastic pannals back there. i had no room in my trunk becouse of the subbox. </font>
I do the same thing, because I too have a big ass sub box.

------------------
Stock (except for sticky Dunlops 8000's) '91 NX2K

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
i have the nx with ttops. to be honest, i never use the bags or straps anymore. they are a pain in the ass and take too much time. my tops havent suffered too much, but i must admit there are some minor scratches. i have always dreampt of....as much as i hate to say this....a del slo type of feature, where the trunk has a little thing that holds the targa top in place, but for the nx, that holds our ttops on place. but that would certainly put a strain on the little hydraulic arms that keep the trunk open.....

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
me too, sub box gets in the way so i have to put them in the back seat...oh well! music sounds good!

------------------
1992 NX2000
White
K&N Cone intake, Bosal Performance muffler and 2.25" cat back

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ben98SentraSE:
Oh yeah. Do they do a good job of holding them down? Well, I don't have T-Top covers so is stacking them on top of each other a good idea?</font>
I wouldn't know if they do a good job of holding them down... Heh... I took them off after I bought the car. I usually just stack the t-tops on top of each other. Wouldn't know if it's a good thing or not... It's only tempered glass.
They didn't seem to fly around while I was doing some spirited driving through some twisty roads.

--Andrew Phan

·
Registered
909 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RollcageSR20:
I wouldn't know if they do a good job of holding them down... Heh... I took them off after I bought the car. I usually just stack the t-tops on top of each other. Wouldn't know if it's a good thing or not... It's only tempered glass.
They didn't seem to fly around while I was doing some spirited driving through some twisty roads.

--Andrew Phan
</font>

Ditto

------------------
MarC
93 NX2000
JWT POP charger
15.5 1/4 mile

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
LOL when I read the subject line I thought something *completely* different... My friend used to have a 280zx with T-tops that had been rolled by his mother then given to him. The glass in the tops was long gone so there was sheet metal replacing it. The sheet metal didn't make that good of a seal so on the freeway the tops would whistle very loudly, generally drowning out all conversation and music. A remedy to this was to roll the window down some and reach up and hold the t-tops down by hand! It worked like a charm for awhile..

Then one day I'm following him on the freeway and he rolls his window down to grab the top and the wind instantly catches ahold of it (latch was ghetto too) and it goes flying over my car. I didn't even know what it was, I thought it was a piece of cardboard or something, until he pulls alongside me and sticks his hand out the roof. Then it dawned on me.. that "cardboard" could have killed me!

Anyway, in answer to your question, I do like the others and either toss the tops behind the rear seats or in the hatch. I have the top covers and never use them so if someone wants them let me know.

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

[This message has been edited by Scarpa (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
101 Posts
Scarpa said:

Anyway, in answer to your question, I do like the others and either toss the tops behind the rear seats or in the hatch. I have the top covers and never use them so if someone wants them let me know.
Hey, do you still have those available? I just got my NX today and it seems as though mine are missing. One of the shades is missing as well from the driver's side T-Top as well, do you know how I would go about replacing that? Is it an orderable part? It just sucks ALWAYS having the sun beating down on my melon.

Chris

·
8,148 Posts
One goes in the trunk and one sits comfortably on top of the parcel shelf with the rubber edge and glass pointing down towards the hatch.

·
retired
1,501 Posts
I set mine in the back (gutted) BUT BE CAREFULL,DONT **** THE SEALS/WEATHER STRIPPING UP OR ELSE THEY WILL LEAK!!!! this was already said above, towels are a very good idea (or clothes :D)

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
The hatch of my car is gutted, so I just put them in the back, and they dont slide around too much, its not a problem. When I had a sound system though the amp was mounted on the box, I didnt have a back seat, so I just put them where the back seat would be. The amp ended up scratching the hell out of the painted area on the t top...

By the way, are there supposed to be shades on the tops?? Damn, oh well I NEVER have them on anyways!

·
SouthPaw
2,022 Posts
My t-tops are tinted real dark because Idont have any shades. I just put the tops in the backand put a pillow in between them and the strap them in, I never got the bag for the tops when I bought it. BTW the straps dont seem to work too well.

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
My straps are goners.....that 2 ounces made my car a TON faster ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts