SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my car back today and man am i pissed!!
first of all my car has ALWAYS started just fine for me, I took my car from the dealership to the gas station and the damn thing wouldnt start, not even any clicking. Never had that problem before, but nevermind, her is what is written on my diagnosis paperwork:

Found Knock sensor codec to replace Knock sensor- $520.00
Poor sensor ground to clean grounds- $228.00
Alternator not charging to replace- $435.00
To replace starter- $475.00
Base idle low, to adjust- $38.00
Battery connection at fuse links corroded, to replace positive battery cables- $303.00
Possibe cam damage
Oil light on during R/R V/C to diagnose- $148
Cylinder balance test No 1 weak, Alpha at 85%rich.

I dont know **** about this stuff, help me out guys. of course, I'm not giving my car to them to fix so any help is VERY appreciated, my wife is going into the air force in a month or so, I might just get rid of the damn thing.

------------------
Daniel K
93 NX2000 w/ intake, clear bumper lenses and more to come!!!!!

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
See your post about when you droped it off... Im sorry to tell you this, but all Nissans are like that. Bring ur car in for 1 problem and u have 5. 1 thing I can say is your car will run great after u get them to fix it, my mom bought a new car on the spot in Dec. b/c they pulled that **** on her. Now she cruzes in a nice B15 SE w/ PP. I guess you have to decide whether the car is worth it or not.

------------------
Greg Taylor
96 SE-R w/ stuff
My Page

·
Registered
883 Posts
Damn, almost a grand to replace the starter and alternator. Man, I am in the wrong business. That was three hours worth of work for me.

------------------

Kris94G20™
"clears and stickers, the best bang for your buck"
The Beginning.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vegita:
Battery connection at fuse links corroded, to replace positive battery cables- $303.00
Possibe cam damage
</font>
OMG! I really HOPE you don't plan on paying for that stuff!

1. You can clean grounds yourself

2. Go to a local mechanic to replace your starter. Expect to pay only like $200-250 as I did for mine.

3.$38 to adjust idle!! WTF!! It takes no more than TWO MINUTES to do it! If you don't know how check SE-R.net. It's so easy. Unreal.

Un-****ing real. Please do tell us which Nissan stealer your referring to, so we can avoid it like a Civic DX with a fart can. OMG.

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT s4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts & shifter bushing, PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 17" Borbet Type S's w/ 205/40 Kumhos, Nis-Knacks goodies

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Performance Nissan in Everett, WA

so what do you think is the main problem?

------------------
Daniel K

·
Registered
708 Posts
You are being ripped off!
First any good technicion would tell you that they are using the shotgun approach to fixing your car.
$2,147 thats the total. How much did you pay for this car in the first place?
If they are going to replace a Knock sensor cleaning the ground should be part of it. I'm not sure how even the knock sensor comes into play with your car not starting. The alternator is not charging but you also need a starter. Maybe the alternator is not charging the battery because the terminals are corroded!

Maybe your low on oil did they check that?

What the heck is a cylinder balance test and how can balance be weak? Alpha at 85% rich? Does this have anything to do with low idle. I think you should take this document to your states burea of auto repairs and see what they think about it!

Find yourself a good mechanic, never take the car to a dealer unless your still under warranty. They are hard to find but they are out there. If you find the right shop they can do everything a dealer can and you can get the same guy to work on it all the time and develope a relationship with him and he'll do little things like adjusting your idle for free.

Did this happen after you took it to the dealer. What exactly happened.

Good luck

------------------
Art R.
1992 Sentra SE-R
SCCA Solo II Driver
Cal Club #823 E Stock

[This message has been edited by Trys_Hard (edited 05-15-2001).]

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I bought the car for $2,200. I knew It needed a little work but not this much. Ive never had a problem starting the car till today, Its always fired up just fine for me. Ive had the alternator replaced twice now. that has a lifetime warranty on it. how easy are these things to do, and where can i get the best prices on parts, how involved is this stuff. I'm very mechanically uninclined. I've done so much as changing my oil tubes, changing the valve cover gasket, new fuel filter, cap and rotor, plugs and wires and oxygen sensor.

------------------
Daniel K

G

·
0 Posts
I'm just curious, but what did you take it in for in the first place? If you told them "fix my car" without any specifics, then I am surprised that the list was that short. The dealer can always find something to replace even if it isn't necessary. I would take it to another shop and do one thing at a time. It could possibly be the alternator, so do that and see if that fixes your problem. It just seems like they want to replace anything that would have to do with the car not starting. Good luck man, let us know if we can help at all.

Max

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When i took it in I told them that it was not performing well, surge and hesitation, bad gas mileage, no power and it dies every once in a while. I dont know what the hell they did to make the starter act up, I never had a problem starting it up.

------------------
Daniel K

·
Registered
708 Posts
Have you tried jumping it? That would at least tell you if it was the starter. If you have already changed the alternator twice there's a different problem. There are plenty of shops which specialize in electrical problems. It could be when they were checking out the battery cable they caused a problem. Clean off the battery terminals and try jumping the car. If the car doesn't start it could mean its the starter but not necessarily. It could be that some wire could be loose. Look around for loose connections

[This message has been edited by Trys_Hard (edited 05-15-2001).]

G

·
0 Posts
Try push starting your car... if it's stick. If it starts, your starter is toast. Check your fusable links. If your battery is charging, then you have a starter problem.
Was your battery light on when you were driving to the gas station? That would be your alternator. What's with the knock sensor problem? Who are these Nissan morons?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
we tried push starting it but it would not work. the brake and batt light have been on since I bought the car and has never gone off, even when the alternator got changed out.

------------------
Daniel K

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
When i took it in I told them that it was not performing well, surge and hesitation, bad gas mileage, no power and it dies every once in a while. I dont know what the hell they did to make the starter act up, I never had a problem starting it up.
</font>
Did you even think about troubleshooting the problems with the car by yourself? 99% of the time the dealer is always going to screw you over whenever you take the car in to be diagnosed. They'll find more problems that weren't there when you took the car in (not implying that they sabotage the car or anything.)

Not to sound like a complete asshole or anything, but there is a website devoted to the SR20DE; it's called SE-R.net, and the URL is www.se-r.net or www.sr20de.net. There's quite a bit of info on that site that could really really help you with your surge and hesitation problem (which is really common with the '91-'93 SE-R/NX, by the way.) Here are the specific URL's:

http://www.se-r.net/car_info/problems/index.html

http://www.se-r.net/engine/troubleshooting_guide/index.html

That second URL is the most extensive guide to help the average garage monkey tune-up and troubleshoot some common problems associated with the SR20 (especially the '91-'93 cars.) I had the same surge and hesitation problem as you did, along with other things (bad idle, low gas mileage, etc.) The information on those sites really helped, and the car no longer surges and hesitates, and the gas mileage is back to normal, and the car idles smoothly, now. And this is on a '93 NX2000 with 131k on the odometer.

--Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R
1993 NX2000

·
Registered
705 Posts
Possibe cam damage

</font>
Knock sensors do not cost 520 bucks! the cleaning should be part of that 520 price tag if anythign at all! It doesnt cost anyhting to set the ****ing idle, a screwdriver is all it takes and you can it at home in ten minutes. there is no need to replace the batt cables. just clean em off, and make sure theyr still there, lol. check your oil, thats why the oil lights on prolly.WTF is a cylinder balance test? did they make it up, or do they mean compression test, anywas that sshouldnt cost jack ****. And WTF is alpha, ive never heard of that and ive been on the main list for 3 years. Go to a different mechanic. It doesnt have ot be a dealer. Ask around to peopel you know, go to someone they know and trust and you wont ge ripped off. the dealer sucks for stuff liek this. They wanted to charge me 360 bucks, for 6 hours of labor, to drop my oil pan a while back. I told them to screw themselves. I did it in an hour, for the cost of gasket goo($5)!!!

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

G

·
0 Posts
Knock sensor- on a HIGHPORT engine takes 10 freaking minutes to repleace !!! Holly **** I thought I charged alot to do things. like today I charged 11 hours to do a clutch ona a A4 Quattro 5spd V6, pain in the ass to do. Clean grounds is like 30 min worth of work, Alternator takes no more than 30 min to change and Starter takes no more than another 30 min to change. I should know I used to work for Nissan and know my way around. Ive had every single part apart in my SE-R. Every thing is IN spec like it was when it left the factory 9 years ago. Maybe thats why it will eat every cammed out SR20 in Chicago land area and even keep up with some T25-out B14s...cough cough Ben Davis... rememer the highway last nite ?? yeah from the toll booth at about 90 U cought me, but from a roll on, its not THAT dramatic.
Mike Jez
14 sec ride from hell with blown axle.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Yeah OK mike. Ben runs 13's.

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT s4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts & shifter bushing, PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 17" Borbet Type S's w/ 205/40 Kumhos, Nis-Knacks goodies

·
Registered
705 Posts
Its the JizzMaster at his best!

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
RE-F/ING-TIRED:)
1,318 Posts
Performance Nissan in Everett, WA

</font>
stay the hell away from that dealership!
my experience last year with the sales staff was enough to turn me off. enough said?

Ric

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ya, i plan on trying this stuff out myself, where is the damn Knock sensor? I looked it up in my chilton book and the damn thing sayst to disconnect it then pull it out and replace it, sounds easy but it doesnt say anything about location. I wanted to get my engine professionally steam cleaned, would this process clean my grounds?

------------------
Daniel K

1 - 20 of 21 Posts