SR20 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's two separate incident that i've had in the previous month:

1. about a month ago i was cruising with my friends. i was following. we were doing about 80 at night and hitting a yellow when they stopped when i thought they were about to hit the light. I jabbed the brakes in panic and got into a hugggge skid. And a big messy cloud of smoke appeared as a result.

2. last week i was making a wide left turn semi aggressively at ~40mph when the rear end stepped out on me, i applied the throttle and did all i could but lost control, the car swerved and snapped on me and etc... but at the end i regained controled and drove home. it was a very very very large intersection with nobody around so my car didn't get banged up or nothing.

anyways, lately i've also been getting the steering shake on the freeway and my car oversteers very easily. so i checked my tire pressures today to make sure it wasnt inducing oversteer (hard front, soft rear). what i found was 2 fricking HUGE bald spots on the front tires. the front right had a worn out patch from the center towards the inside of the car. the front left center had a slightly smaller patch from the center towards the outside of the car. it looks like the thread got completely ASS RAPED.

and the weird thing is, i didn't see any wear on both rear tires.

what i wonder is if the bald spot was caused by the braking skid... and consequently it caused me losing control on the turn... or if it was the turn that really shredded my tires.

anyways, that's beside the point. what i really want to know is if it is dangerous for me to drive on these? would it be better if i swapped these tires to the rear? there's plenty of tread on these goodyears and i don't wanna have to spend $$$ on new tires already.

im a broke student and just bought a new amp for the car... yeah yeah safety first...

ill have pics probably later tonight

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
As a very *temporary* solution, put those worn tires in the back so the drive wheels won't continue to add more wear and tear. Though, you're right... Safety first... Replace those tires ASAP!

--Andrew Phan

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think Driven97 has you beat.... He turned Kumho' 712 into slicks... then the chords were showing, then the chords started wearing through, then the chords started to RUST... NO JOKE! haa haa haa... then he got a buldge on Where the tred used to be!

Man, that is the Max life of a tire!
Neeraj

·
Registered
765 Posts
vtec, thats exactly what happened to my last set of tires, i'll see if i can post a pic.. one of them has that "bulge" so i stopped driving till my new ones arrived

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Hey Tony what size wheels you runnin? I can't remember but i'v got two 195-50-15's if you need them. The price is right-free.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vtec:
I think Driven97 has you beat.... He turned Kumho' 712 into slicks... then the chords were showing, then the chords started wearing through, then the chords started to RUST... NO JOKE! haa haa haa... then he got a buldge on Where the tred used to be!
Neeraj
</font>
hahahahah PlanoSER has the exact same thing.
i swear.. they looked like Hoosier Nascar tires...

Yeah you're right I might need to check my alignment. after i went out of control my car felt a bit funny coming home... though it was probably all in my head because i was shaken up having never been in a car going crazy like that before.

hey James that's great that you've got spare tires. my classic came with tiny 14" rims. Though I can borrow or buy matt's 15" rims (he went aftermarket) and mount your tires on there... we'll see what happens

brian: these badyears suck ass! they can't stop worth a **** and can't carry much speed in the corners. for the price i don't know why the previous owner didn't go for dunlop d60s instead =/

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
btw, isn't it weird how the patch on one tire is 45* off from the other? where does the lsd come into play... shouldn't they be aligned

·
jo mom
502 Posts
Well my car has d60's. Old versions in back and new ones up front. I heard d60's may be replaced by dunlop sport sp's. I've locked my d60's on 2 occasions real well like you and my tires look just fine. You guys can say d60's aren't aggressive enough which may be true but they sure take a raping well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Limited Slip:
Here's two separate incident that i've had in the previous month:

1. about a month ago i was cruising with my friends. i was following. we were doing about 80 at night and hitting a yellow when they stopped when i thought they were about to hit the light. I jabbed the brakes in panic and got into a hugggge skid. And a big messy cloud of smoke appeared as a result.

</font>
Are you sure you didnt flat spot your tires because of locking them up? That would explain no bald spots on the rear tires. I have you beat though, I have turned my Dunlop SP8000's in to slicks! Can only see the tread on them if there is a little dust on them, like dusting for finger prints! It is because of my messed up suspension. But i am getting Eibach's and KYB's (only GR2's, AGX's too expensive) next week. If i only had 15" wheels!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts