SR20 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make a CAI for my NX. My current thoughts are to shield my intake, relocate the battery to the back, remove a foglight, and then duct air from where the foglight was up into where the battery was..

I'm thinking the most difficult part will be the heat shield but I'm not sure..

My biggest concern is about the tuned resonance of the intake.. I got the impression that some of the power gain from the Place CAI is that it's tuned to provide better flow at high RPMs. Will fashioning a CAI myself gain me anything as I won't be tuning like this? Am I fabricating this whole issue? I'd love to hear from slownx2k cuz he has a homeade one, and I'd like to hear from someone with a Place CAI or who knows what I'm talkin about...

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well Im not sure about that tuneing I know it plays a LARGE part on the CAI design. But also cooler air is always good. What Im wanting to do is do like the bimmer and other crowds do and make a shield behind the POP then semi-seal it to the hood and duct a pipe to that and have it sucking from like down in the fender or grill. If you relocate your batter it would be a good thing to pull from right beside the light, or pull the side marker for racing
I want to do this sometime but dont know about fully fabbing it myself without *some* mesuraments.

I know a few people with the PVC CAI's they feel a little better but dont know. maybe getting decent mesurments of the HS CAI and semi reproduce it with mandrle bends from a shop might do ok. or do like doc lew and make holes in your hood. hmmmmm thers an idea seal a heat shield (box like container for the POP) then use one of those NASA ducts on the hood instead of a scoop since they are susposed to flow more. hmmmmm if i had a spare hood maybe

1 - 2 of 2 Posts