SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to upgrade the horse power in my car. What to do? I really have no clue how to go about doing so. Can someone help?? :(

·
Registered
765 Posts
what is your goal? how much money do you have to spend? Do you want power all the time or only when you need it? We need a little background info before telling u the best setup for your needs. www.se-r.net has some good writeups.

The typical route is to help the engine flow air better: Cold Air Intake(CAI), Header, Exhaust. From there people add Cams, ECU(computer), pulleys, etc..
You can skip those, or add in addition to those, a Nitrous Kit.
Or, if you dont wanna mess around, slap a DET motor in there and be done with it :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops, sorry about. Additional info does help.

Okay, I want power all the time. Something that will give my car some extra pep. It seems as if sometimes..it's just dragging and I don't know why. Like it is taking it a long time to gain speed. Money isn't really an option, but help me keep my arms and legs. Nothing to complicated would be good. I just need to find out a way to give my engine a boost.

·
Registered
909 Posts
First you will want to start with a full 10 peice body kit compleat with 3 foot supra wing. Then add big racing stripes and loads of stickers. Finish it off with 18 chrome wheels and you will be hella fast.

OK now that I have that out of my system. What year is your car and how many miles. The very first thing you should do is a full tune up. Do all the plugs and wires and fuel filter cap rotor and the lil things listed on www.se-r.net like cleaing throtle body and what not. The first mod I did to both my sr20 powered cars was an intake. Get youself a Place Racing or Hotshot co;d air intake. next after that I would get an AEBS or Hotshot header. after that would be Cams. JWT S3s or S4s. them comes the exhaust. when your done with all that its up to you. But that is the order I would do and have done sorta.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No racing stripes for my black beauty. :D

I have 1998 w/ 31,000 miles. I don't know if the mileage thing is a problem or not. Due to where I live and where I work.. I drive 2 1/2 hours total every day. About 100 miles.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I just need to find out a way to give my engine a boost.

Ummm, dude, you answered your own question right there!

BOOST BABY!! BOOST! SR20DET ALL THE WAY!

By the time you spend 450 for HS headers, 550 for JWT ECU, then 200 for CAI, 100 for 91 intake cams or 550 for S3 cams, your looking at $1300-$1800. You can get a DET engine for under that and have so much more horsepower! COME ONE DO IT!!

;)

·
Registered
727 Posts
And this dude is a gal

DOH! :eek:

So sorry, still, BOOST! IS WHERE ITS AT! I learned the hard way after doing all I have done then raced my buddy Matt in his 93 SE-R with a DET. Well, lets jsut say I got to listen to the nice sound of his turbo whinning as he blew by my side of the car. LOL. Mine is going in within the month, thats the plan anywho!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay.. So boosting is the best way. Going to sound really dumb here... how would one go about doing so.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Best and least expensive route is an engine swap unless you ahve like 4-5 grand for the F-max kit. I am doing the DET swap myself, I am sure some of the guys on here, myself included, would love to help you, you know to keep the turboed Nissan spirit runnign strong! Just look on ser.net and jgycustoms.com to see what they can do. Jason Garret Young is the owner of jgycustoms and he usually shoots you a great deal on a DET! I can video my swap for you if you want, thats going to happen within the month and send you the tape. That way you can see what all it intails and decide if thats the route you wanna go! Hope this is helping you!

((((((((SUBLIMINAL HINT))))))))))

BOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTT........

:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That would be great! Keep me posted. You can email me at [email protected] (work email). I will check out those other sites. With your help, at least I don't feel as dumb on this issue as I did before.

·
Baby Blue VVL
3,202 Posts
granny you are the funniest mofo i have seen here in a long time
im almost crying im laughing so hard

O

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Huh.. I will take that as a compliment. OR I could say.. your the rudest one I've seen on here.

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
I'm guessing your '98 is an SE-R. anywayz... just how much faster are you looking to go? Do you just want a lil extra horsepower or some tire smoking hp? If you just want a bit more extra go, I'd get headers, intake, and cams. Since you drive 100 miles a day, I'd skip on the exhaust unless you like having a buzzing exhaust for 2 hours. If you want the hp of the tire smoking variety, the only way to go is to get a turbo. Possibly either a DET swap or putting on a turbo kit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would like to have some smoking hp. BUT... I don't know what is the best way to go with the distance I drive everyday. 100 miles to work and 100 miles back home.

·
Zed's dead baby
336 Posts
The big question is: If I go turbo, how will I pass emmissions? Its not as easy here to pay of the guys because everything is in state run facilities. If I can get my car to pass emissions, Ill go turbo! :D

·
Registered
727 Posts
Do what I do, register the car out of town. If you know someone that lives in BFE somewhere register it there. My mother lives in a hick town where they smoke worse crap than exits the tail pipe so its all good for me! WOOHOO! :D

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
Just out of curiosity Granny, what type of gas mileage do you get from driving that far every day. Is your car a 5-speed or auto? Is it an SE-R? Because I have a story that not to many people believe around here and My friend and I witnessed it. I got about 435 miles to a full tank. There was some left because the light just went on in the car. I was driving back from where I bought the car. I was just wondering if you get similar results. But boost is the way to go. Its the best bang for your buck. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mark,

Oh my gosh.. I have gotten that kind of gas mileage on my tank. I did a trip down to Oregon..continuous stop and go for site seeing and didn't have to fill up on gas until I got all the way down to Florence.

I can go believe it or not, I can go almost all week w/o filling up. It just depends on what I do. If I do other errands, then I have to fill up sooner. I have a 1998 200sx - se. My tank will hold a little over 10 gallons. When I try to tell people what I get on my gas milage..they say it can't be accurate and there is no definate way to tell. Well, all I know is everytime I get gas it is around the say amount of miles driven...

·
Registered
301 Posts
granny,

sounds to me as you use the car as a daily driver. If you were to put in a turbo, your car would be under harsher conditions which yields to breaking. This was a choice i also thought about turbo vs. bolt ons. I use my car everyday so if i went turbo and stuff started to break i couldnt afford not to get where i want to go so im going the bolt on route. Its more dependable.

When you start making power with a turbocharger/supercharger stuff starts to break. Thats your decision.

If i was you id go the same route a couple others said.

Cold Air Intake, Header, Exhaust, U/D pullys, cams if your really want it. All this you will notice a good difference. In the end with these goodies your lookin at $1200+ (depending if you do cams)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts