SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,I've got my new tensioner. Sunday,I'll go over to SoCal-SERCA member,Tom Paule's house and install it. Hopefully we won't mess it up too bad. and while we're in there we'll check the cam timing,and make sure the ignition timing is at 15*. HOPEFULLY,this will do the trick.

------------------
Thomas Fox
'93 NX2000
www.geocities.com/subcltr_nx2000/Homepage.html

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay,the new tensioner is in. However,I'm still getting some rattle at idle. However the rattle goes away,once the engine is revved past idle.

I SUSPECT that it may be due to low oil pressure at low rpms. So it look's like I'll have to ditch the remote oil filter kit,and reinstall the OE oil filter.

HOPEFULLY this will solve the problem.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Hmmmm don't really see why that should cause that problem. What remote kit you using? What kind of lines does it have? Why not put a T in the lines somewhere before and after the lines, filter, adapter, and all that junk to actualy see how much/if any pressure drop you are getting on the that. Instead of just throwing wrenches at it. Find out exactly whats going on. Someone has to have some adapters to put an oil pressure guage on it.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What remote kit you using?</font>
Summit Racing single filter remote oil locator kit.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What kind of lines does it have?</font>
Regular rubber hoses secured with worm gear clamps.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Find out exactly whats going on. Someone has to have some adapters to put an oil pressure guage on it.</font>
I figure it'll be cheaper,and easier, to relpace the kit with a OE filter. If I still have the rattle at low rpm,I'll know it's something else.

For a hot minute,I was tempted to remove the Upper(?)Timing Chaing Guide. Since the Timing Chain is rubbing against it. But I figure,that's just a symptom of something else.

Which is why I believe the rattle might be oil pressure related. The tensioner relies on oil pressure to maintain contact with the Timing Chain Guide. and as the RPMs rise,so does the oil pressure,thereby causing the Tensioner to exert more pressure against the Timing Chain Guide,making the timing Chain tighter and thereby preventing it from rubbing the Upper Timing Chain Guide. Well,that's my theory. If I'm wrong,I guess I'll end up replacing the Timing chain,Timing Chain Guides,and all the sprockets!

BTW,does anybody know why the latter model SR20's DON'T have Upper Timing Chain Guides?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
don't need it. obsolete part.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well,looks like my guess was right. It was low oil pressure at idle. I replaced my remote oil locator kit with a Mobil1 oil filter. Now I have only a slight *hint* of Timing Chain rattle.
However,I WILL have to replace my Timing Chain,as there are wear marks on the chain from where it made contact with the upper Timing Chain guide.

Guess I'll be ordering parts soon.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well I wonder if it was that perticular kit. Cause Ben Rockwell's Over Engineered Componets has a oil filter relocation kit. And he races his NX and designs stuff for racing. My only quess would be that kit. Cause I have never heard of Ben or anyone else complain about it. Just not able to keep the pressure up for some reason.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">so, umm...you're saying oil filter relocation = bad???</font>
No,I think the moral of the story is,if you're gonna use one. Make sure that you're using steel braided lines.

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
Did you ever check if your oil pick up was just cloged or maybe the gears in side the pump are waring down ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts