SR20 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well some of you may already know that I have been trying, for awhile now,to figure out why my JWT S3 cams only gave me an increase of 4.8HP. At the last SoCal-SERCA Dyno day,my NX2K only put down 138.9HP. At the last Dyno event,before the JWT cam install,my NX put down 135HP.

I checked all of the obvious things,cam timing. Mike Kojima checked it also. So you know it's good. Ignition timing,etc.
Anyway,Rob Cadle suggested,that it might be my timing chain. He said that it might be "stretched",and that could be affecting my cam timing at high RPMs.

So before I go and start ordering parts,I thought I would get some input/advice from you guys.

------------------
Thomas Fox
'93 NX2000
www.geocities.com/subcltr_nx2000/Homepage.html

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">(new ngk plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, o2 sensor good?)</font>
Yep,Yep,Yep. All good. I've had the car consulted a couple of times since. Everything is fine.

Mike Kojima has emailed me,and he has suggested checking the tensioner to see how far it's extended. That way we'll know for sure if the timing chain is stretched. So I just have to see when we can get togther to check.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Changing the timing chain is not something you want to do.</font>
You bet I don't! If it is the timing chain,I'm gonna get my $tealer mechanic to change it!

·
Registered
858 Posts
check for leaks around the exhaust header pipes holes in muffler. even tighten all clamps to cai etc. dirty air filter could all be a cause especially if compression and leakdown tests are good....timing chain is a mofo bitch job! paid 475$ with new tensioner and chain plus labor!would not go there myself!

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
I have had my S3 cams in about a month. They were installed by RosenAutoSport in VA. Before I had them Installed I ran by the dealer and spoke with a Nissan Master Mechanic who suggested what should be changed in addition to the cams. One major suggestion was the tensioner and possible oil lines depending on the year. The mechanic explained that because my car had 90,000+ miles that there possibly would be other parts such as the tensioner that would suffer rapid wear with new cams being installed. Some SE-R's made between 91 and 93 suffered trouble with oil lines being clogged and from what I was told this problem was corrected with the 94 model. So when my cams were installed I also had the tensioner changed, keep in mind that Nissan has improved upon the original tensioner design, also maintained my timing at the suggested 15 degree and tightened the throttle cable. This install was a major improvement to my cars performance. This mechanic says he has never had to change a timing chain on a properly maintained SR20DE engine. Also though not suggested I just changed my oil since the cams were installed, some 1,500 miles later. The oil was filthy black and my car was still running great. Hey your cams may still be breaking in. My loping has almost disappeared I bought replacement mounts just in case it remained. I also use Mobil 1 synthetic oil and K&N Filters. I hope my experience helps. I love these cams.

Nigel
95G20t,Stillen header and Intake,JWT S3 cams
Ecu,Greddy exhaust.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">check for leaks around the exhaust header pipes holes in muffler. even tighten all clamps to cai etc. dirty air filter could all be a cause</font>
Did those too. But thanks for the suggestions.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">One major suggestion was the tensioner and possible oil lines depending on the year.</font>
That's the direction I'm leaning towards. The tensioner that is. Although I might just change the oil lines as a precaution.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">keep in mind that Nissan has improved upon the original tensioner design</font>
Yeah,I have the countermeasure(Nissan's name) P/N for the tensioner. I just emailed Mike K,to see if the countermeasure P/N has changed. If not,I'll order the tensioner very soon. And since Garden Grove Nissan is giving SERCA members discounts that are the same as Courtesy Nissan,I won't have to spend as much.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Also though not suggested I just changed my oil since the cams were installed, some 1,500 miles later.</font>
At the geekout when we installed the cams,Mike K. suggested that I change the oil after cam break in,about 150 miles. Which I did. I have done two oil changes since.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">This install was a major improvement to my cars performance.</font>
Don't get me wrong. I love these cams! I've walked on more than a few unsuspecting honduhs since installing them. And then there's a co-worker who is just positive that his new f*rd focus zx3 will just stomp all over my MX3 clone in any contest of speed.

I'm just disappointed with my dyno HP numbers. Especially since cars with similar mods are making more.

·
Registered
466 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'm just disappointed with my dyno HP numbers. Especially since cars with similar mods are making more.</font>
Join the club.

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I believe the part # is a 13070-2j200 on the tentioner. and don't worry, I am disappointed with my #s also.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
I hope to dyno my car soon, at a new place in VA Beach $100.00 bucks, But before that I'm adding UR pullies. I really want the SS set (4 pulley set), See my cars an automatic and a G20 (HEAVY and NATURALLY SLOWER than a 5speed) I think I could benefit from the weight loss, most say this is a complicated change. I am also debating whether I should change my header from the Stillen to the Gen3HotShot. HotShot is a larger header, I always wanted one, but they were not available when I was shopping. Meaning no distributor had them in stock including Hotshot. What do you guys think. Oh I met guy who bought a mint condition white T-top 92 NX2000 for $135.00. He said it was just sitting on the lot where he worked for like a year untouched 103,000 miles. The interior was immaculate this car looked like it was shoe box kept. UNBELIEVABLE!

Nigel
95G20t

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I am also debating whether I should change my header from the Stillen to the Gen3HotShot.</font>
I would. I remeber when I was looking for a header two years ago,HotShot was on a 4-6 week back order! so I bought the $tillen header. Now I wish I had the Hotshot.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I believe the part # is a 13070-2j200 on the tentioner.</font>
The P/N that the Service Bulletin NTB92-056 lists the countermeasure P/N as 13070-53J03.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I met guy who bought a mint condition white T-top 92 NX2000 for $135.00. He said it was just sitting on the lot where he worked for like a year</font>
Lucky bastard!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay thanks for everyone's advice. After much consideration,I've decided to replace my timing chain and tensioner. And while I'm at it,I might as well replace the cam sprockets and crank sprocket,and timing chain guides,Nissan is supposed to have made a production change on the chian guides. Is there anything I'm forgetting?

Wonder if I should get the adjustable cam sprockets?

·
Registered
858 Posts
get the intake one only and advance it one click the exhaust needs none.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Subculture,
Did you dyno the car right after the cam install? Or did you install them a couple days before the dyno and put a couple hundred miles on them?

If you put the cams on right before the dyno, you might want to dyno it again before you pay for a timing chain replacement. I'd do the timing chain tensioner, though, as it is not expensive and is easy.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Did you dyno the car right after the cam install?</font>
No,the cams were installed about a month before I dyno'd the car. the cams were fully broke in,the oil had been changed,and the ECU self learn had gotten used to the cams.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'd do the timing chain tensioner, though, as it is not expensive and is easy.</font>
Mike Kojima suggested the same thing. Guess I'll give it a try. I guess I can always replace the timing chain later if it doesn't work.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Make sure your lower intake tube to maf adapter is flush.</font>
At the risk of sounding like a monkey,what exactly do you mean by flush?

[This message has been edited by Subculture (edited 01-19-2001).]

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I am having problems describing it. Ummmm... okay.

Pretend you had 2 4ft long cardboard tubes. Line them up so they are exactly in a straight line and the edges match exactly. Almost like it was one piece. You could look through one end and see out the other. This is flush.
If you pivot one tube by 5 degrees, you probably can't see through the 2 tubes. Look at how the edges match up now. Its no longer perfect contact completely around the circle. This is not flush. I noticed a SOTP gain when i fixed my setup so that it was flush. I took the maf and lower tube off together and looked through the maf to see if the circles matched exactly or not. i had to adjust the rubber coupling to get it to match.

But that is not worth 5-10hp.

Do you have a chart you could post?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll try it next time I have some spare time.
Dyno Chart? Sure as soon as I get around to it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.