SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put on my new Hotshot header. Nice looking piece if I do say, a lot nicer than my $tillen one, which is cracked, and in the trash now...ANYWAYS...

Here's the problem. I have it all put one, and am just putting the nuts on the header bolts (studs) when I get to the two center ones. The nuts will NOT fit flush against the back of the header, they butt up against the welds of the two center pipes! Therfore, it ticks like my cracked Stillen header becuase it doesn't have a tight seal. What is the best thing to do to fix the problem? I was going to go to the hardware store to try and find some narrower washers that would fit. Any suggestions?

------------------
1999 SE Limited JWT POP, NGK Wires, OBX Muffler 2.25" exhaust, Stillen Header (soon to be Hotshot)Eibach Sportlines, KYB AGX 17 deg. timing

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
Is your header coated ? if not you could just grind the weld back a bit with die grinder or file. Or try some washers with the side filed down so it sits flush ?

------------------

92 NX2000, kyb agx, intrax springs, jwt pop,
3a Racing muffler with bonzi tip,
17 " mille miglia mm 112, Yokoham avid h4

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I hope theres not too much problem installing the HS Headers cause I will be installing my Gen 4 Headers on Thursday night and I don't wanna be running to the hardware store all night getting ****. Any solutions on what not to do and what to look for?

------------------
Peter
..on AIM = NyceP26
97 200SX SE-R
PR CAI,JWT ECU (with correct timing now @ 15TDC),91 INTAKE CAM,
KYB AGX,EIBACH SPORTLINE,
FSTB, F/R X-DRILLED ROTORS,

·
Low flying black object
669 Posts
Have some penetrating spray and hit the studs/bolts before trying to break them loose...you will get all 3 copper gaskets with the Gen 4...I didn't have to use any copper gasket goo...be careful with breaking the nuts loose...apply even pressure so you don't snap it off. You can get some anti seize to put back on all the threads. You will need to modify the main gasket a little...it doesn't quite line up..it is about a 1/16th off on a couple of the holes for the studs. Have a dremel or something you can open it up a bit with. And also, be careful not to get any crap on your o2 sensor/s. Lastly be careful rethreading on the cat nuts...I stripped one of the studs awhile back and didn't even realize it til I was installing the header...I had to get another stud and and ge the ols stripped one out...thanks to those that had an extra cat that night! Some others have suggested to have all new hardware...I think the single best thing to have is a penatrating spray and small breaker bar..I used PB Blaster...got it from Checker/Kragen $4.00..ok, that was a book....sorry

------------------
Brad B. 96 SE-R

·
Low flying black object
669 Posts
oh ya....you will also have to go get an allen head wrench for the lower bung...the HS comes with a plug, but I couldn't find a parts store that had the right size...I ended up using a bolt, and threading 2 nuts onto it, then using a wrench to tighten it down...you will see what I mean when you get the header..I just installed my Gen 4 about 3 weeks ago...if you hae any questions when you get it, just give me a shout..you have davids number...you can get mine from him, or e-mail me for it.. [email protected]
that way if you get stuck you can call me..long distance, but still...I can help you out.

------------------
Brad B. 96 SE-R
PR CAI,HS Gen 4,ACT,ES motor mnts,1.8 dropw/AGX's,F&R STB's,17deg timing,91 intake cam,NGK wires,205/40/17 Kumho 712's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I ground down the washers, and they fit fine now. Now the only problem is that I have a slight lead where the header connects to the down pipe. Any good ways to tighten it up? As you may know, the three bolts on the latest Hotshot header can be a bit hard to get at...

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Peter, I used the instructions on SE-R.net and they worked pretty well. You need to pick up some anti-seize compound as well as the two OEM gaskets needed.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER
advanced timing,custom 2.5" catback exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, ES shifter Bushing, Hotshot Header, Hotshot CAI

·
Low flying black object
669 Posts
you need a wrench and a wratchet...and a couple of long extensions...pc. them together and guide them down thru the primaries. You might need someone up top...and you down below...or you can get the wrench to rest up against the a/c bracket...lodge it in there and then go back up top and tighten it down woth the ratchet...I used a long breaker bar for a little extra leverage.

------------------
Brad B. 96 SE-R
PR CAI,HS Gen 4,ACT,ES motor mnts,1.8 dropw/AGX's,F&R STB's,17deg timing,91 intake cam,NGK wires,205/40/17 Kumho 712's

·
Low flying black object
669 Posts
you don't need the stock gaskets with the Gen 4...it comes with all 3 metal (copper) gaskets..

------------------
Brad B. 96 SE-R

·
Low flying black object
669 Posts

this is what it looks like w/ the gaskets...

------------------
Brad B. 96 SE-R
PR CAI,HS Gen 4,ACT,ES motor mnts,1.8 dropw/AGX's,F&R STB's,17deg timing,91 intake cam,NGK wires,205/40/17 Kumho 712's,SMC short shifterRoyal Purple synthetics

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Don't worry about writing a book, the more the better for me. More feedback is what people look for so rant about the whole thing.

------------------
Peter
..on AIM = NyceP26
97 200SX SE-R
PR CAI,JWT ECU (with correct timing now @ 15TDC),91 INTAKE CAM,
KYB AGX,EIBACH SPORTLINE,
FSTB, F/R X-DRILLED ROTORS,

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">you need a wrench and a wratchet...and a couple of long extensions...pc. them together and guide them down thru the primaries. You might need someone up top...and you down below...</font>
Yeah, it really helps to have a friend help here. Like he said, ratchet with extensions and a wrench.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">this is what it looks like w/ the gaskets...</font>
Will you measure the final inside diameter before you install it please?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey guys.. i replaced my bottomed out stillen with a new hotshot header.. but i just realize now that i have a 4th gen after camparing headers with my friends.

So what are the major differences in the 3rd and 4th gen hotshot? I can tell you my stillen had more low end.. (felt power kick in at 3 grand) but this 4th gen seems to pick up around 4200 and pulls much harder up top than the stillen. Does anyone have dyno comparisons between 3rd and 4th gen?

Thanks!

markp
97 b14

1 - 14 of 14 Posts