SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my Hotshot CAI in the mail and I'm putting it in tomorrow. Just wondering if there's anything I should watch out for and if you guys have any helpful installation tips that may come in handy.

Thanks in advance.

------------------
'95 200sx SE-R
2000 Eclipse GT
AIM: GTS24v

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Congratulations...you've just purchased arguably the best bang for the buck mod and probably the easiest to install one at that.

Theres nothing to it - remove the old airbox and piping, and replace with the hotshot pieces and hookup all the same hoses from the stock part. The hardest part is working around the battery but it just takes some patience.

------------------
Stormy
Black '98 Sentra SE w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli's, Nis-Knacks goodies....in need of a JWT ECU

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
don't cut that hole for the intake too big! my B-pipe is sliding up and down in the hole now when the engine rocks in the bay on acceleration...disconnecting it at the MAF. I can't fix it. i need new couplers..enjoy!!

------------------
Is that a honda? What is that silver thing?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it's in. It's a tight a fit as you can get because of my battery. When my alternator went out a few weeks ago, this is the only battery they had for my car, but as big as it is it seems like it's made for an SUV or something.

The thing is a lot louder than I thought it'd be. I've recently found out I shouldn't have cut the front out of my splashguard? I didn't see any way for it to breathe without doing it since it completely covers up the filter if you don't cut it.

How many of you have done or not done this, and what kind of risks am I taking leaving it the way it is? The splashguard's still behind and below the filter, but I cut the front off for a ram-air effect. The filter doesn't stick down very low, and it sits in a cup-like hole, so I didn't think water ingestion would be a big risk.

Am I pretty safe keeping it this way? Should I put the guard back on? When I originally put the intake in, my splashguard was completely COVERING the entire filter. I saw no benefit from that, and when I took it for a test drive, it was a good bit weaker(and louder) than it is now.

------------------
'95 200sx SE-R
2000 Eclipse GT

[This message has been edited by GTS (edited 07-03-2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Under my hood is a really tight fit with this CAI because the downpipe forces itself up against my battery. Has anyone else had this problem?

The main problem in my setup now, is the pipe going into the throttle body sits crooked at the end, so the air is twisted going into the manifold. I can't straighten the damn thing out because my battery pushes up against the downpipe!

I have a relatively small battery; I don't know if I could find one smaller than this.

Anyone else had this problem?

------------------
'95 200sx SE-R
- Hotshot CAI

2000 Eclipse GT

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">How many of you have done or not done this, and what kind of risks am I taking leaving it the way it is? The splashguard's still behind and below the filter, but I cut the front off for a ram-air effect. The filter doesn't stick down very low, and it sits in a cup-like hole, so I didn't think water ingestion would be a big risk.</font>
I have not done this and I don't think it is a good idea. I like the protection offered by the splash guard. Just in case I hit a short puddle I think it might help. Although I avoid puddles like the plague and if the weather forecast calls for lots of heavy rain I switch to the underhood intake.
What I do when it is nice out and I want better airflow is to remove the fog light. It feeds air directly into the filter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts