SR20 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
BOOST OR GO HOME!!!!!
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that was running threw my mind do they use a computer to make a 3d model of the car to make a bumper or somebody molds fiberglass over something to make a bumper. post links and websites please?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
most of the time the piece will have the cracks and acutely-concave areas filled or smoothed with clay and just molded.........alot of the more expensive, detailed, exotic disigns will come from a 3-6pc. mold......which is a big PITA to make..hence the jump in price.........then there is the load bearing "ribs" that fasten to the bracketry.........usually right where you don't want them........but from what I have read the wide-body kits are basically sculpted out of layers of some sort of poly-resin-foam that is attatched to the car,sculpted,filled,treated for molding,"blown" with fiberglass, heavy matted at the seams if not a one piece, then cured.........I might have missed a step or two.........memory isn't what it used to be ...........

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
correct, molded from foam and shaved, kit car makers make their wide body kits from strips of a foam, no styrofoam either, and usually its a DIY guy, they hand lay the mat fiberglass and allow to dry and sand while curing.

I myself will try something for my front end, i can get the foam, just need a place to shape it. then I can make a mold and make one from there.

But yes, overall BIG PITA. Watch how they make surfboards, not much different is my guess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts