SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to get headers eventually but the price for the hotshot are over 400 dollars for the most part and thats quite a bit. I was curious to know what the lifespan of the pacesetter is, if there are any istall problems, is it prone to cracking?? what kinda of power gains can be expected?? how is it vs. the hotshot (if the two are even comparable) any info would be helpful! thanks.

------------------
1992 NX2000
White
K&N Cone intake, Bosal Performance muffler and 2.25" cat back

·
_______
2,170 Posts
HS and Pacesetter are comparable, because the Pacesetter is an *exact* copy of the 1st generation HS.

However, subsequent redesigns of the HS header have really improved it.

You get what you pay for. The Pacesetter is definately quicker than stock, but not the best design out there.

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NismoNx2000:
Im looking to get headers eventually but the price for the hotshot are over 400 dollars for the most part and thats quite a bit. I was curious to know what the lifespan of the pacesetter is, if there are any istall problems, is it prone to cracking?? what kinda of power gains can be expected?? how is it vs. the hotshot (if the two are even comparable) any info would be helpful! thanks.

</font>

B-A-D

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Serban just posted his dyno attempt with a pacesetter header on a JDM engine. Was pretty good, pretty damn good. But thats alot to do with the jdm engine. Power wise they arent that bad, you can do better. but at the price its pretty good. but build quality is one of the big concerns. and the fact that almost everything pacesetter rusts out in a few years....

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
(Ahem)
The Pacesetter header has worked flawlessly for me, for the past two years. It was the first mod I made, and worth every penny.

I did buy mine used, cheap. Sanded it down, painted it.

It's still on there today, no cracks, nothing. I'm not into 'show' cars, so I could care less how it looks. It works. You'll notice a difference NA, for sure.

A Pacesetter header is probably the best bang for the buck going, as far as SR20 engines are concerned.

Highly recommended, despite what others (who probably have never bought nor installed one on their own car) may say.

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, a proud customer of Nitrous Oxide Systems, Inc.,
[email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
I have to agree with Greg, the Pacesetters are a good bang for the buck. i had mine for a year and a half, and counting. i definately noticed the power increase, and i guess the dyno proves it in a way too, my numbers were a bit high for what i have, but then again that primera engine probably helped.

and if the header makes similar power like the HS, i would still get the pacesetter, costs a lot less, but it will just look ugly, and i dont care, i just slap my dyno sheet in peoples face

------------------
Serban Gavrilescu
91 Black Metallic SE-R
146.5hp & 131.6lb-ft torque
http://www.geocities.com/serban91r

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do the pacesetters start to rust at all?? did sanding them down and repainting them help alleviate the rusting problem?? tahnks again.

------------------
1992 NX2000
White

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
Serban
*** NEVER MIND - FOUND THE POST WITH RUNS ***

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Serban just posted his dyno attempt with a pacesetter header on a JDM engine</font>
Where did you post your Dyno runs?

------------------
Brandon
'96 G20 ($tillen/K&N intake, '91 intake cam, 17 degrees, custom 2.25" Borla cat-back exhaust)

[This message has been edited by NismoPC (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
*****HERES THE SCOOP*****

Just buy the damn thing and install it.

warning though: it looks like ass when you first get it. Half the paint is chipped off and you have to bore out the insides with a brillo pad attached to a wire hanger. Theres all kinds of lil metal flakes in there. I was afraid it would clog up my Cat. ( but now I have no cat, so anyways ) I think its well worth it. Ive had mine for 2-3 months and its all good. Looks funky but no rust yet,

------------------

SmoothDaddyFig

·
Registered
765 Posts
how much does the pace setter header cost, and where can I pick one up?

------------------
'95 200SX SE-R - Jim Wolf Clutch, K&N, CN Catback Exhaust, CN strut bars, KYB AGX, Eibach ProKit, audio
'99 Prelude base - CAI, Greddy SP
'02 TL Type S - Stock

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
I have to agree with everyone supporting the Pace Setter Header. If you are going all out on a engine build, or want every hp you can get out of a motor and don't mind spending $$ Buy a Hot Shot or Aebs. But if you are like me and alot of people out there that don't have alot of $$ to spend I think the Pace Setter is a worthy mod. Have had mine on for about 8 monthes and have had no problems with it. I wish I had took pics. when I installed it cause it was definatly alot less restrictive than the stock manifold when compared side by side. Like everyone else looks aren't a strong point in the Pace Setter but look at what it costs.
Power diffrence was awesome. Would be my 1st mod if a had it to do again.

Summit and JC Whitney both carry it for $140
Ceramic coated version goes for $240

Darren

------------------
91 Classic running 9.6's in 1/8 W/ Header& PR CAI

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bowlcut:
and the fact that almost everything pacesetter rusts out in a few years....</font>

Try a few weeks!
rofl.gif

I really have had bad experiences with Pacesetter. Maybe they changed in the last 10 years. I also hate Centerforce stuff. If Ansa made a header I would probally buy it before a Pacesetter. This is my opinion.

[This message has been edited by Pretty White (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
Ah, i forgot to mention that the new picture i have in my sig is made by Greg Perry and his photoshop skills, and if its ok with him, i would like to continue using it.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, so it seems as if most of you guys who have the pacesetter have the black painted one, but i wanted to know what kind of quality the ceramic coated or armor coated header rather is like?? Will the ceramic chip at all, or is the lifespan going to be a lot better with the ceramic coating then the black painted....I dont want it to rust basically. thanks!

------------------
1992 NX2000
White

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
From what I've heard the ceramic comes off as well. I dont know anyone with a ceramic header though. I just know from previous posts. I dont think its worth the extra $$ in my opinion.

------------------

SmoothDaddyFig

1 - 20 of 32 Posts