SR20 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '91 Classic seems a little bouncy and leans a whole lot while cornering. How can I tell if the struts are the problem? The car has 94,000 miles, so are they sure to be worn out?

Also, do struts have anything to do with body lean, or will only stiffer springs help that?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
If your car is bouncy, and takes a while to settle down after hitting a bump then your struts are gone. Leaning over in corners can be alleviated by stiffer springs and anti-roll bars, also called swaybars. in certain cases shocks will help with body roll but it is not nearly as effective as swaybars or springs.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My struts are GONE. It is so bad my wheels come off the ground over short bumps and hills in roads. And I bounce like I have hydrolics. I am ordering Ebaich Sportlines and I am not sure about struts....any suggestions for a stiff strut. Thanks, Shea.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sheabird:
My struts are GONE. It is so bad my wheels come off the ground over short bumps and hills in roads. And I bounce like I have hydrolics. I am ordering Ebaich Sportlines and I am not sure about struts....any suggestions for a stiff strut. Thanks, Shea.</font>

KYB AGX all the way. 4 and 8 way adjustable dampening.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Why sportlines? Dont they lower the car too much? I thought Classics didnt have that much travel to begin with, and to put sportlines makes it really harsh? I've always heard prokits being the spring of choice.

just my .02

-jason

·
Registered
858 Posts
kyb agx/stock springs ,better sway bars or poly urethane sway bar bushings and endlink bushings. if you want to lower it go with prokits eibach.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've heard that KYB AGX is a little too stiff even for Pro-kits, I would think it would be really bad with the stock springs?

·
Registered
222 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Doug H:
I've heard that KYB AGX is a little too stiff even for Pro-kits, I would think it would be really bad with the stock springs? </font>
I guess it would depend on what setting you have them on. For stock springs, you would probably want them on 2 for the front, and 4 in the rear. Thats my guess. I have Prokits and my settings are at 3 front and 5 or 6 rear (forget).

-jason

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Nah, I run AGXs under stock springs with them on the lowest setting and the ride is fine. MUCH better than it was with ProKits and blown struts.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well I am getting a deal on the sportlines for $100 shipped so that is why I am getting them(they are used though).

So about the suspension travel...is it really that bad. I do not care about the ride quality too much...I'd rather have a better handling car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts