SR20 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to vent to atmosphere. I have been told time and time again but there has to be a way. If anyone has any ideas i would love to discuss. I need a way to get these pesky hondas off my back without racing them. They dont seem to understand that they are out of there league.

·
Registered
174 Posts
:confused:

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
hks vpc, it replaces your maf and you can vent it into the atmosphere then, or you can do it without that and lean your motor out and have fun rebuilding. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
There motor would not lean out, since air is lost, it would get too rich. It isn't as bad as going lean, but it will wash oil off of the piston rings, and cause them to go to hell. You will also **** up your cat, blow fire out the back, and soot up your car. In other words, don't do it, unless you find a way to compensate.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Lyn Labahn said:
There motor would not lean out, since air is lost, it would get too rich. It isn't as bad as going lean, but it will wash oil off of the piston rings, and cause them to go to hell. You will also **** up your cat, blow fire out the back, and soot up your car. In other words, don't do it, unless you find a way to compensate.
you are right, I am wrong, I got it backwards :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Here is the way to do it.

Get an A'pex-i Super AFC, leave all the fuel settings the same under normal conditions. There is a setting called "Decel Air" which allows you to lean out the mixture upon deceleration, which cuts fuel down significantly so that youy do not run rich after shifts.

This mode is made especially for situations like this.

Is it worth $350 for a cool BOV sound? If it is, then this would be the best way to go, but it is still not a perfect solution. By the way, I can hear my Type BOV just fine rerouted into the intake.

Good luck,

·
Hi Officer, how ya doin'?
438 Posts
I can vouch for that...........

I am re-routing my BOV into the intake tract after the MAF. I think that was the main reason my ECU flipped out on the dyno. The car ran like sh*t until I reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery terminal.

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
My friend has a '98 Eclipse with the BOV plumbed back into the intake and you can hear it very well. I think the key to it is how close your filter is to the MAF. His MAF has the filter connected directly to it (no tube) and the BOV plumbs right in behind the MAF. I think the closer the BOV to the filter the easier it is to hear.
i.e. (If) you had a 2 foot tube running from the MAF to the turbo inlet for instance, it would be louder if you plumbed the BOV dump at the MAF than if you plumbed it at the turbo inlet. I hope what I am saying makes sense.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Does anybody know if it would be possible to move the maf in front of the blow off valve instead of being right infront of the intake? Would the maf be able to read correctly if air was being forced into it rather than being sucked through it?? I know there would have to be a lot of modifications done to get this to work, but would it work at all if it could be moved, say, 4inches from the TB in part of the intake piping??? hmmmm...Why do I think so damn much :)

Jake

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
You could move it there but then the MAF wouldn't last to long since its rather delicate (its a hot wire insteaed of an older flap style).

If you have to have the BOV sound then get a hybrid BOV from GFB they allow some of the air to be released out and the bulk plumbed back to the system so it doesn't "vanish". The company is based in Australia so you might want to see if you can get more info on it I think its used widely on WRX's (maybe silvias?) down there.

The link
www.gofastbits.com

Look for the BOV called the Hybrid.

hope this helps.....

-Andy

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
have you been happy with it? or has it been problematic, or simply just sound bad ?

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's been fine. It makes the typical psssht noise associated with BOV's. I thought I'd try it just to be a bit different. The quality is excellent. It's much better than the Bosch BOV I had from a Saab. That thing was just plain weak and was a source of a pressure leak.

Matt

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Don't DSM's have a MAF also? I've heard many a DSM..pssshhhh at me. Do they run a differnt MAF than us? I know it might sounder ricerish..but I want to be able to pssshh...he,he,he at the people Im about to beat!

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
Lyn Labahn said:
Crap, my car has been running rich (haven't figured out why yet)... long story, but was running super rich for 1600 miles straight in 2 days (20 mpg on the highway). I do believe my cat is totally ****ed; it stinks pretty bad. Don't think I've blown any fire out the back but I have blown a lot of soot out. I just hope I didn't **** up the rings and cylinder walls.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks

Thanks, all of those avenues I was already aware of, I just want to know if anyone has done any of those ideas. I know they all sound good, BUT in a not so perfect world are the solutions, solutions to the issue of a patch. The nissan computer is so sensative to change and it works well in stock trim that is why i do not want to change the specs for something that may work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.