SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Only Car in Cali W/ Rust!
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got a longblock from a guy from FL and it doesnt have intake or exhaust manis or almost anything on it. It came with a silver valve cover!? how can i tell if it truely is a det? The guy said it was a U13, but how do i know for sure? The valve cover came with the engine, but it wasnt on it (the cams were exposed). So maybe he sent his old valve cover from his de and the det longblock, but didn't some det's come with a silver top?

Recap: how can i tell if an engine is a det if it doesn't have teh valve cover?

·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any other appearance differences?

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
THere will be a coolant port on the tube behind the thermostat. And of course no emissions ont he INtake manifold. But that is about it really. The oil and water feeds on the block give it away.

Brent

·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
coach said:
THere will be a coolant port on the tube behind the thermostat. And of course no emissions ont he INtake manifold. But that is about it really. The oil and water feeds on the block give it away.

Brent
Is the coolant feed on the bottom right of the front of the block? I'm not sure what it looks like.

·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All sr20's are stamped SR20, no de or det stamp on the block.. If i got a W11 that'd be nice... not exactly sure though, dont even know if its a turbo block yet. All i see on the front of the block is a coolant intake/exhaust port but not sure if that's the one you told me about or if all sr20's have that? It's on the bottom right of the front of the block.

·
pimpin since 03!
1,348 Posts
R0b_ said:
silver top could be a W11...in which case you've got something nice there with the bb turbo.

it is a long block he said so no turbo and no intake mani and exhaust mani... well another good way is.. you know how people say that when you do the sr20det swap they have to cut a peice out of there cross memeber to make it fit..well check the botom of your block right where the tranny bolts up and see if it is the same as your de (if you dont have a de, then send me pictures and i will tell you... and another way, (this involves looking under the car) if you have a avenir or any det... the back of the engine where your passenger side axle is mounted on the block, only two bolts would fit... but like last one if you do not have a det equiped car you must send me pictures... and if i was you i wouldnt even bother on looking up head numbers, because it seems like nissan wasnt very detailing on the block vin's.. ive seen 4 differnt se-r's and checked head codes. one is mine the other is my brothers, and two are my friends, and my friends sr20 classic.. when read the vin code said it was a jdm motor, and my avenir codes says its a 10:1 jdm motor... and i know my **** isnt no 10:1... (ill kill sumone!)

thats all i can think of for the block... good luck

·
Enjoy the GTR Matt!
3,716 Posts
bummer.

Looking at the block, the coolant intake/outlet ports are at the top (thermostat one is on the right), the oil return is at the bottom right, down by the first tranny bolt at the front/bottom... you'll either see the return, or else you will see a flat spot where you can tap it for a return.

·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thats not my engine, but its the picture of the front of the det... can someone point out to me where these oil/coolant hookups are?

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
see that little round hole under the #2 exhaust? that is the coolant tap, if its not a det, then it will just be a little flat round spot with no hole in it. the oil return is not visible. but see the other little hole a few inches down and to the left? that is the oil feed hole. only a det will have those 2 holes in that picture.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Okay .. looking at the front of the motor, look right next to where the a/c bracket mounts. There should be a hole there for the oil feed line. Basically right above where the block flares out some. I know this because I had a hell of a time getting it back on. haha .. It uses a banjo bolt. The oil return line should be a large tube coming off the bottom middle of the block. iirc Coolant return is a bit higher above the oil feed.

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
If the lower oil pan is real tiny, its a DET. If it has an oil cooler on the back of the block, its a DET. Just 2 more ways to give it away.

·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fast91SER said:
If the lower oil pan is real tiny, its a DET. If it has an oil cooler on the back of the block, its a DET. Just 2 more ways to give it away.
So i found out that it's a DET, now I gotta find out if its a W11 or a U13.. It came with a Silver valve cover... not sure if thats the original valve cover, but if it is, does that mean its a W11?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts