SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
starting over
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the chance to get a brand new Sparco evoL seat for $250. I know I am going to have to get side mounts. My questions is how did you mount it to the chassis? Did you guys go with a wedge or sparco base, something custom ect? I do not require sliders. I would prefer something fairly easy to fab or even bolt in. I do not have a welder, But could get to one with some effort.

If you have some pictures that would be very helpful

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
http://www.kakashiracing.com/seat.html

Greg's way. I hope to copy that some day. I'm not very happy with the way my seat is now.
Ditto, except with 1.5" x 0.120" DOM tube, didn't want to take any chances, and the marginal extra weight is low in the car anyway. We also triangulated the rear bars to the cage.

Tim (if you see this), I'd add some gussets to spread impact load from the bar to the plate better. As it sits, there's not much there. Probably overkill, but it'd take a couple of minutes with a grinder and welder to burn them in.

·
Local illeterate *******
161 Posts
http://www.kakashiracing.com/seat.html

Greg's way. I hope to copy that some day. I'm not very happy with the way my seat is now.
No engineer here, can't even spell that correctly....
Actually the only thing I know about engenerring is they don't like it if you ask them about driving trains...
But...
Wouldn't you rather be attached to the structure protecting you?
The Cage???
We attach the seat to the rear main hoop and the lower door bar.

·
NX2000 Racer
1,300 Posts
Wouldn't you rather be attached to the structure protecting you? The Cage???
Check the rules for whatever group you're running with. Attaching the seat mounts to the cage was illegal to the rules in SCCA back then, because doing so would violate the explicit "8 mount points" rule.

However, effective 3/9/2010 the SCCA rules where changed to read:

"Mounting structures for racing seats may attach to the floor, cage and or center tunnel. Seat mounting points forward of the main hoop, between the center line of the car and the driver’s side door bar and rearward of the front edge of the seat bottom are not considered cage attachment points in classes with limitations on the number of attachments."

Do note that we had a "failure" on that design in 2007, where the rear mounting plates eventually cracked the surrounding floorboard and those rear plates were starting to "punch through" (exactly as I had predicted on that web page...) We repaired that by welding larger plate areas around it and under it. To keep that from happening, I'd recommend making those plates larger. - GA

·
Local illeterate *******
161 Posts
Do note that we had a "failure" on that design in 2007, where the rear mounting plates eventually cracked the surrounding floorboard and those rear plates were starting to "punch through" (exactly as I had predicted on that web page...) We repaired that by welding larger plate areas around it and under it. To keep that from happening, I'd recommend making those plates larger. - GA
Thanks Greg for the reply. I don't agree with the 8 point rule. I can see the point on keeping you from having a P or GT cage, but sacrificing driver safety over a mount point for the seat that does not offer any competitive advantage is just plain stupid. The rear mounts you refer to "punching through" would not happen if the seat was attached to the rear hoop and not the floor.
We attach the seat the same way you did in the front but with DOM tubing and an upward bend at the door to meet the lower door bar. The rear mounting points have two tubes coming down from a horiz bar on the main hoop and ending on the transverse bar at the front of the seat. We also do not use stock lap belt locations on this setup, as you are fully suspended/attached to the cage, belts seat and all.

You can kind of get an idea from this photo.
http://www.stockcarracing.com/techarticles/scrp_0302_stock_car_rollcage_build/photo_06.html

·
NX2000 Racer
1,300 Posts
I don't agree with the 8 point rule.
Well, I certainly understand your disagreement, but that's pretty much irrelevant: if you wanted to race SCCA back then, you had to follow their rules.

But, now the the rules have changed you can do an installation as you suggest. - GA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts