SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Egg Lover
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much work is it to install a header such as the pacesetter into a 93 NX2000? Do you have to remove the radiator and fan? Also are the bolts likely to come undone or are they likey to be rusted together? Will a header still give a performance boost with the stock exhaust?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Bro, its too easy. Unless you start snapping bolts. :(

How much work is it to install a header such as the pacesetter into a 93 NX2000?
Simple, if you have all the right tools.

Do you have to remove the radiator and fan?
Hell no. :D

Also are the bolts likely to be rusted together?
Hell yes!:D Cross your fingers as you start to unscrew them. Spray some WD-40 on there early before the install.

Will a header still give a performance boost with the stock exhaust?
You bet. But it works better with exhaust.

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
dude. make sure you have a torque wrench. My brother helped me install mine in christmas eve :) and he managed to snap a stud off. Still not sure what to do about that. Also disconnect the battery for sure, because we grounded the head to the alternator and blew the fusible link STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!
You might need an adjustable pipe wrench for the AIV if you do not have wrench that big. Also a torch may come in handy, persuading the AIV and cat bolts to come loose. Use WD-40 and lots of patience with the head bolts. It took us about 4 hours but if you really went at it it could probably be done in 2-3 hrs but its always better not to rush

·
Registered
513 Posts
Get an Acetylene Torch. They're $30 at Home Depot and well worth it. Shoot all the exhaust bolts with it to make sure you don't snap bolts or strip them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
kpw97 said:
Get an Acetylene Torch. They're $30 at Home Depot and well worth it. Shoot all the exhaust bolts with it to make sure you don't snap bolts or strip them.
is the torch handheld? does it just heat up the bolt so it can be easily removed?

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
WD40 is for sissies. Get PB Blaster, there is no finer penetrating lube. I put headers on my 111000 mile engine, headers never off and siezed good. Used PB, let soak, use again, let soak, header nuts came right off, no broken studs.

FWIW

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
AznVirus said:
is the torch handheld?
yes
does it just heat up the bolt so it can be easily removed?
Yes

Come to think of it. I couldnt get my cat-bolts off so I just sawed off the Cat and replaced it with a galvenized 2.25in pipe. :D
I showed that pipe whos the boss!!!!!!!:cool:

·
Charlie Brown look alike
3,825 Posts
He is right though, PB Blaster is the *hit though. It will blow the doors off of WD40 any day. My dad brought some home and let me try it out and I will never go back. Liquid wrench for lubrication and PB Blaster for loosing bolts and the such.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
PB Blaster, hungh?
Who sells this stuff?
I guess I must try it now.

·
Charlie Brown look alike
3,825 Posts
I don't know to be honest. My dad just brings the stuff home for him to use and I end up using it before he does. :cool: Including tools and the such. I think he hates it sometimes.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
I got mine at a Meijer super-store. I have it reliably that you can get it at WalMart too. It's a white spray can with a yellow lid.

·
Registered
179 Posts
PB blaster is bad stuff be realy carefull with it almost went blind with that stuff be smarter than i am and wear some glasses.. but is realy works good did the job for me.. so after i got it in both eyes i got to go to the hospital after flushing by eyes with water for like 15 minnuts. still burned like hell but it does take bolts off
:D

·
Registered
450 Posts
blitz4x said:
.. so after i got it in both eyes .......
:eek: That is all I have to say about that.

They are right Figgy, I'm a WD fanatic, but there are better sprays for loosing bolts. But you'll ALWAYS need the WD around when taking off road grease and bug splat. ;)

And if your cat bolts are really rusted on there, take it to your local muffler shop and have them loosen them for you. They have a torch and do it all the time. I got away for $15! It was worth it just to save the time fudging on those 2 bolts.

·
Registered
421 Posts
SmoothDaddyFig said:
PB Blaster, hungh?
Who sells this stuff?
I guess I must try it now.
I got mine at my local hardware store, Good Ol' Carl's True Value!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have not had WD 40 in my garage for almost 3 years..
PB is the only way to go..

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
andy ser said:
Would you pre soak the header bolts before you heat them, or after you heat them?
It depends on if you want to start a fire or not.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts