SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
pimpin since 03!
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys i turned my car all back to stock! and i went to smog my car today so i can get on with the det. but i f****in failed! and now i got 30 days to pass and i reallly dont want to spend another 60 to 80 bucks on bullshit i wont be using more than 2 months.

any of you guys have experience with no passing that first time and what you did to make it the next..... ohhh and my mil light wont go off!!

·
VE powered
556 Posts
We need details. What tests did you pass and what ones did you fail (HC, NOX, CO, etc)? Rolling dyno? Idle and 2500 rpms?

It would also help if you could get a code for what's causing the CEL. Details on how to do this are all over this forum.

Steve

·
pimpin since 03!
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry your right i need more info... ok i failed visual ofcourse because my engine light was on... rolling dyno, i failed hc by about 50. and i failed nox out of 890 i got 1100. i passed the 25mph fine but failed those two on the 15 mph roll....

·
pimpin since 03!
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ohh tomorow morning im going to run the codes... and if the code is 02 sensor i cant do **** but buy a new one huh?

·
VE powered
556 Posts
Definitely check out what the CEL is for. You might also try clearing the code and see if the CEL comes back.

Sounds like you're close to passing. Did you make sure the cat was properly warmed up? Driving for about 30 minutes on the freeway beforehand should be enough.

If the cat was properly warmed up then it might be on its way out. Is it OEM? The OEM cat is the most efficient for emissions.

For the high HC check your ignition components (plugs, cap, rotor) and replace anything that is old.

For the high NOX your EGR tube might be blocked. Retarding the timing a few degrees will help by cooling the intake charge (but will also raise your HC). Also, putting a restrictor plate in the exhaust will increase back pressure and force more air thru the EGR.

Steve

·
pimpin since 03!
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im going to change the pluygs today. i went through the comp today i did the self diagnosis and it blinked 5,5 and the light went off lol. soo i guess it was just still on because i usto run straight exhaust. so the system is reset no light, i am going to put some of that "emissions pass" fluid in, and see if i can clean out the egr crap alittle! thanks guys... if you got any more ideas anything will help!

thanks
jake

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Changing the oil always helps a lot when I have trouble passing. You would be surprised how much it lowers the numbers.

·
Registered
441 Posts
put in cheap gas and and some rubbing alcohol to lower the HC count.

For NOx, make sure your cat is warm. you might also want to check the timing.

cap and rotor is cheap, easy and helps too.

--Eric

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yo, how many miles you have on the car?

I had high NOx and HC. replaced the cat. Clean as a whistle. Passed SMOG!!!

If you have over 100k-150k on the original motor and exhaust. You will need to replace the cat and you will pass.

·
Tired Greasemonkey
1,384 Posts
OK,you're going to have a hard time. in jan all enhanced areas and basic areas in california, started using new machines (65,000 bucks but anyways) these smog machines hook up to your obd2 port and comunicate with your ecu, clearing your code will do nothing, you must fix the problem, clear the code and then do a series of drivecycles so the ecu can sucessfully complete all readiness tests. it can and will be a bitch, as for the nox, is your egr working? slightly retarding the timing will help nox but hurt hc ppm and co%
hc is a sign of unburnt gas a tune up may help.
since you're in the bay area, you are enhanced, and must do the dyno test if you want to shotgun the test i'd put an additional aem cat on there and see if that helps.
also paying a licensed test and repair station to diagnose it may be helpful considering that the enhanced dyno emission test is around 80 to 100 bucks.
good luck

·
VE powered
556 Posts
...these smog machines hook up to your obd2 port and comunicate with your ecu, clearing your code will do nothing, you must fix the problem
Given his profile I'm assuming he has a B13 which means he is obd1.

·
Tired Greasemonkey
1,384 Posts
qinsac said:
Yo, how many miles you have on the car?

I had high NOx and HC. replaced the cat. Clean as a whistle. Passed SMOG!!!

If you have over 100k-150k on the original motor and exhaust. You will need to replace the cat and you will pass.
a new cat will not guarantee that a car will pass, thats a common misconception.
there is millions of other things that go wrong, a bad cat is the problem about 35% of the time, at least from my expierence.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Go to your local ghetto smog shop and offer them a little extra just to pass you. Screw Cali emissions why can a V8 and V6 pass with no problem half of the time and our little cars always fail. Something is wrong with that.

·
Tired Greasemonkey
1,384 Posts
nizmo559 said:
Go to your local ghetto smog shop and offer them a little extra just to pass you. Screw Cali emissions why can a V8 and V6 pass with no problem half of the time and our little cars always fail. Something is wrong with that.
it's not as simple as that. much more strict now.

·
pimpin since 03!
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have obd1 and the cat is clean i checked it. light is off and staying off soo far. changed plugs for some iridium r's and have the "emissions clean crap in a bottle" in my gas tank right now. i think i might be ok still havnt checked the egr crap. i keep working on my avenir in the garage polishing and crap... but just wait tell you guys see it lol!!! ill post pictures soon. all im waiting for is my jim wolf ecu and downpipe and im readdy to go!

·
Enjoy the GTR Matt!
3,716 Posts
I had high HC and NOX, replaced the cat, re-installed the air injection, and used a bottle of "guaranteed to pass" and one of them passed, I think NOX, but the HC was still too high. (damn BS expensive bottle!)

Dropped the timing down to like 7 and passed it today no problems.

I ran it with 91 octane for the test of course, hit the AC button and ran the heater on low to keep temps slightly lower.

After I passed I set the timing back to 17 in the parking lot of the test place. :)

·
Tired Greasemonkey
1,384 Posts
you can't drop the timing further than 15, functional failure.
you could have zero emissions and if the timing is more than 2 degrees off spec, you fail.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts