SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continuing the topic, will it hurt the oil seal in the engine??? Because my car's previous owner seemed never change the engine oil, my se-r's engine inside is very dirty now. I would like to clean it up, but some of my friends said the aftermarket engine flush chemicals may harm the oil seals inside the engine. So I just want to make sure about that! Is here any expert having flushed the engine or knew the details about that? Please tell me your opinions!

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I have also heard that people have spun bearings after using it. I would just go with a good synthetic and change it out more often than normal for about 2 changes or so.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well for about every person that has spun a bearing, I would guess 10 or so that haven't. I did it to mine like 3 or 4 times now and I've got almost 150k on it. I did it and never a problem, *knock on wood*. Guess its up too you. I plan on running some more in it in a few months probaly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To Bowlcut:
Could you tell me what brand of engine flush you have ever used? Could you recommend one for me?
Thanks a lot!

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
I've always used the one they recomend in the archives and se-r.net. The STP motorflush. It's somewhat hard to find. Only place I found to carry it is Auto Zone. No other local auto store has it around here. Walmart doesn't have it either. Think Pep Boys has it not totaly sure tho cause we dont have one within 80 miles of here. Many people will tell you don't do it and plenty will say to do it. When I did it there wasn't anyone talking anything bad about it. Only lately have they done that. But use it at your on discrection. Follow the instructions to the T.

------------------
Thats my opinion and I could be wrong

93 classic
Aztec Red, Automatic, POP, STB, OEC battery tie down, AD22VF's, Pirelli P4000's

·
Registered
194 Posts
I also have used this motorflush. I used it about every 3 oil changes in my classic se-r, when I sold it, it had 140,000 miles, and still ran sweet. To me, after using motorflush, it "seems" that it runs smoother, or tachs easier. My .02

·
Registered
705 Posts
JackieC and everybody: the engine flushes will nto harm your car, provided you use as directed. Don't use it more than once every 15,000 miles, or it could acutally build up in their and thin your oil in your oil pan and/or not let the oil do the job it is supposed to. As far as which one, i would recomend either the STP or Gunk. those are the only 2 i use and they both work.

------------------
Ryan Walsh...1st 97 owner ever to succesfully mount a 98SE exhaust to a 97SER!
relaxing after a quiet ride home from SF2K1. first day without an exhaust in a long time.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
I never found the STP at Autozone, only Pep Boys.

Did I ever look at Autozone? Hmmm... maybe not... there's one within walking distance here so maybe I'll just head over...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, thanks all of your professional suggestions!
But I just heard of some opnions from the Internet that we can use the ATF to substitute the aftermaket engine flush. And the ATF has more detergent materials than the engine oil but has no acid-like substances as the engine flush has. If what I heard of is true? Can I really use ATF to replace the normal engine flush to clean up my engine? Could any experienced expert tell me about that?

·
_______
2,170 Posts
Using ATF is a really old-school thing to do. Before the existence of dedicated engine flushes, it might have been a good solution. However, if you're going to flush your engine, I think it's safer using a product that has been formulated for that specific purpose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts