SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Learn to swim
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How do you guys keep your turbo-mani bolts tight??

It seems that about every 2 months on average I am having to go back and tighten everything down. Is there some sort of trick or is mine just picky? Josh

·
SE-R Searcher
1,861 Posts
I never had a problem with the manifold bolts. you can get the honda(acura) b-series manifold bolts to use on the turbo. they are lock nuts so they dont loosen. they are too small for the engine studs if i remember correctly...

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
i had to tighten mine this weekend and it's a bitch to get the heatshielf off due to tightness in the engine bay.. gotta do what u gotta do

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Yea, these things suck! First my jpipe comes loose, and i blow the gasket there. Pull the gasket off, the fitment is tight enough to go back together without a new gasket.

Then the turbo-mani nuts come loose, and i blow that gasket out too. Only this time, the turbo-manifold fitment isn't as tight, and it looks like it may leak a tiny bit without a gasket. I ordered one from the dealer, should be in soon.

They have gasket maker in a tube at Pep Boys(labeled for use in turbocharged cars), would that make a decent gasket for the turbo-manifold spot? Its rated to 700 degrees....

·
Learn to swim
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I have this thing down to a science. It takes me about 10 Min. to remove the fans, and all heatshields. I cant get to the back left(if looking from front of car) nut to tighten it, but the rest I can reach. Its a pain, but I bought one of those flat wrenches like the ones for bicycle hubs in 13mm to make things easier. I may try those locknuts you are talking about goneturbo, but I dont treally know what they are. You have a link or something?
..........Josh

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
How about using some of the weaker style locktight?

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
Hmm... i haven't had any probs with the nuts coming loose that i know of. I've never checked them. The last time I had the manifold off was probably 2.5 years ago and the nuts were tight then before I took it off. I use anti-seize on them before I put them on. I guess I'll check to see how they are later.

Khiem

·
Big Bossman
513 Posts
Re: How do you guys keep your turbo-mani bolts tight??

UNDRCOVR said:
It seems that about every 2 months on average I am having to go back and tighten everything down. Is there some sort of trick or is mine just picky? Josh
I second that.

I basically have to tighten the j-pipe every oil change. Now this time I have used new hardware (bolts, lock washers) and thread lock. Hopefully this will make things better.

·
Learn to swim
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
unlucky said:
Do you have a flex section in your exhuast?
Travis

Yes. I am using one of Jamie's (I think its a pdr) downpipe. I dont have my motor mouns in yet, so I am guessing that maybe the extra flex is causing them to wobble around a bit....Josh

·
rollin 4 deep with JoeD
1,410 Posts
Lockwashers are gay.

Loc-Tite doesn't work around hot turbo stuff.

Use all metal locknuts to keep your nuts from backing off. I use the factory Nissan all metal locknuts for the manifold to head, and turbo to manifold flanges.

Also for the turbo to manifold flange, I use "The Right Stuff". IT is an expensive black silicone that can be found at any auto parts store. This is the best silicone sealant I have found, and I use it for everything on my car, from oil pan, to coolant water neck, to my turbo stuff.

If you are having problems with your STUDS backing off, you may have to do something trick, like use safety wire. This is used by most professional race teams.

Good luck.

·
SE-R Searcher
1,861 Posts
the nuts i am talking about are lock nuts that are used on the manifold to head studs on Honda's. You can go to a junk yard and probably collect a few that you need. or the dealer would carry them. I am sure that the integra and civic si use the same size that we use. I check out where they can be used tonight.

·
rollin 4 deep with JoeD
1,410 Posts
Why do you guys keep bringing up Honda locknuts?

The STOCK FACTORY nuts used on the SR20 between the head and exhuast manifold are genuine Nissan All Metal Locknuts. They work great, and I use them on most of my turbo setup. No need to taint your car with the H symbol!

·
FWD PWNAGE IS HERE!
2,570 Posts
What do you guys do about the bolts that go from the exhaust elbow to the exhaust side of the turbo? I have a problem with mine backing out but its not like some nut that I can just get a locknut on its the bolt...

·
stirring but plain-faced
993 Posts
When i had my t25 i never really had any problems with any of the nuts of bolts backing out. I think this had to do with the fact that there was quite a bit of rust on them which kept everything in place. A good fix for the J-pipe nuts would be to just tack weld the nuts to the studs once they are tight. You dont really have to remove the J-pipe unless there is a problem with the turbo, and you could grind the spot welds off if you really have to get the thing apart. You could do the same thing with the manifold to turbo bolts as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts