SR20 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is an easy question. I recently bought a jwt ecu but on the outside the only markings besides the stock markings are the settings for the ecu but they're written in permanent marker.

Is this what JWT usually does with ECu's should I be worried? I want to send it in for a reprogram thats why I bought it.

Do they go by outside markings or do they actually open it up to see if it has a previous JWT program.

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
JWT adds a daughterboard (an additional circuit board) to the ECU. On that daughterboard is an EEPROM which holds the updated ecu code, on the EEPROM is a serial number. JWT has a database of all serial numbers, so by giving them that number, they can tell you exactly what that ECU is programmed for. FYI - JWT will cross ship you a new EEPROM if you need an update, this way you won't have any downtime. Once you get the new EEPROM, you install it and send the old one back. If they don't get it back they charge you something like $200 or $250.

C

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh sweet. Thanks for the input I didn't know that about the jwt ecu. Do I need special tools to take the eeprom out? I don't want to just pull it out and ruin it.

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
blairellis said:
reeeealy....so how much is this new eeprom? the standard 100 buck upgrade fee?
Same price - but no downtime, and you *may* get it faster than waiting for them to install it for you. Per Ben @ JWT, there are some early production JWT ECU's that can't be done like this, they have to be sent in.

Just get the number off the eeprom, call them up, and they'll take care of you.

C

1 - 10 of 10 Posts