SR20 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question 1: My 95 se-r started making a puttering/tapping noise coming from the engine bay. I went to have it checked out and was told I have a cracked exhaust manifold. How long will I be able to drive the car with it like this?

Question 2: My check engine light keeps going on and off, whenever I bring it in to autozone I am told its a cylinder 1 missifre, is this a common problem? What should I check?

Question 3: Is it normal to not be able to downshift to 1st gear when going around 10+ miles an hour?

Question 4: I just had tranny work done (5th gear popout fixxed) and now it grinds a bit when going into 5th, this is unless I double clutch than it goes it fine. could it be that it takes a bit for the synchros to line up?

Question 5: Could a bad fuel filter attribute to not being able to start the car on occasion? Could a bad tuning of a TPS also do this?

Question 6: I noticed a noise coming from my rear passenger tire, kinda like a clunk or a rattle. Its pretty loud, especially when I go over speed bumps but it also happens when I am going really slow (5-10 miles a hour) what could this possibly be?

Sorry about all the questions, just trying to iron the kinks out of my car.

·
SR20VE or a T28? I dunno!
1,664 Posts
Question 1: My 95 se-r started making a puttering/tapping noise coming from the engine bay. I went to have it checked out and was told I have a cracked exhaust manifold. How long will I be able to drive the car with it like this?

Dunno - I have a full exhaust manifold if needed...

Question 2: My check engine light keeps going on and off, whenever I bring it in to autozone I am told its a cylinder 1 missifre, is this a common problem? What should I check?

I would take it to a dealer and have it checked out

Question 3: Is it normal to not be able to downshift to 1st gear when going around 10+ miles an hour?

Yes, you should be in 2nd gear. You shouldn't really downshift to 1st unless you're stopped

Question 4: I just had tranny work done (5th gear popout fixxed) and now it grinds a bit when going into 5th, this is unless I double clutch than it goes it fine. could it be that it takes a bit for the synchros to line up?

Question 5: Could a bad fuel filter attribute to not being able to start the car on occasion? Could a bad tuning of a TPS also do this?

Possibly - go get a cheap fuel filter and see if it helps. Dunno about the TPS.

Question 6: I noticed a noise coming from my rear passenger tire, kinda like a clunk or a rattle. Its pretty loud, especially when I go over speed bumps but it also happens when I am going really slow (5-10 miles a hour) what could this possibly be?

Is you car lowered?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
98SERwTricks said:

Dunno - I have a full exhaust manifold if needed...

I would take it to a dealer and have it checked out

Yes, you should be in 2nd gear. You shouldn't really downshift to 1st unless you're stopped

Possibly - go get a cheap fuel filter and see if it helps. Dunno about the TPS.

Is you car lowered?

How much do you want for the exhaust manifold. I wont need one for long since I am going to be getting a jdm t25 setup in a few months.

Yes, it is lowered with eibach springs. Thanks for the rest of the info.

Edit: New update on the tapping noise, it may not be the cracked exhaust manifold. I went outside and disabled each cylinder while the car was running. When cylinder one was disabled the noise went away.

·
SR20VE or a T28? I dunno!
1,664 Posts
The rear suspension clank is due to the Eibach springs. I have the same problem, but don't really know or want to fix it at this point.

I would let the exhaust manifold go for $25-$35 + shipping depending on what you need (the manifold by itself or everything in FRONT of the cat)

You may have a fawked up rod or something on cylinder 1 - I'd get that looked at! If it is a failing rod, JDM engines are less than $500

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
Throwdown said:
When cylinder one was disabled the noise went away.
Thats one way to diagnose rod knock.... do a search here or the se-r.net mailing list archives, or google, to find other ways to determine if you have rod knock. if you do, might as well get a new motor.

·
midnight_marauder
395 Posts
It might just be the spark plug, I had the same problem with CEL for the cylinder #2 and I pulled the spark plug out and the ceramic insulation around the bottom electrode was cracked and had fallen down over the gap! I replaced all the plugs and the light went out. Pull the plug....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts