SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm buying the clutch and all he has to do is put it in. About how many hours should I expect for him to replace it?? He is professional (no white trash hill billy with a jack and a monkey wrench). He has a lift and all the wright tools. I was thinking about maybe 3 hours. Please give me a estimate time. Thanks everyone!

Nissan
NX2000 SR20DE 5 Speed Tranny

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
"a mechanic" that doesnt know the cars to well, maybe 4-6 hrs. A Nissan Mechanic that works on similar cars and has done may of them before maybe 3-4 hrs. I had one done at Nissan years ago and my two guys worked on it together and had it out in under 3.5 hours. And since I've done lots of them now I can do it in 2hrs - 2 days if I'm being lazy. Ben Davis and I did one in 1h36min a while ago. So it can vary a lot really. It depends on if stuff breaks or all kinds of things you may not be able to account for in planning stages.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sakerocket1 said:
"a mechanic" that doesnt know the cars to well, maybe 4-6 hrs. A Nissan Mechanic that works on similar cars and has done may of them before maybe 3-4 hrs. I had one done at Nissan years ago and my two guys worked on it together and had it out in under 3.5 hours. And since I've done lots of them now I can do it in 2hrs - 2 days if I'm being lazy. Ben Davis and I did one in 1h36min a while ago. So it can vary a lot really. It depends on if stuff breaks or all kinds of things you may not be able to account for in planning stages.

I would rather try it myself because the mechanics around here charge 50-65 bucks an hour. I'm sure they will take there time. If it wouldn't be tomuch trouble can someone email the procedures on the whole clutch change. Like starting by.......ect. You can email me at [email protected] . Thanks!

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
nathanklein said:
I would rather try it myself because the mechanics around here charge 50-65 bucks an hour. I'm sure they will take there time. If it wouldn't be tomuch trouble can someone email the procedures on the whole clutch change. Like starting by.......ect. You can email me at [email protected] . Thanks!

Just search my friend, there are many write ups. Check out www.floridasr20s.com under how to's and there is one.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I got quoted 4 hours.

and I have to say - 50-65 US dollars is freaking expensive for mechanic time. I expect to pay 60 Canadian tops...

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
ahh, the ways of the mechanic.

thats how they get paid well, there are set labor rates for certain jobs, and a good mechanic (read: well paid) will get it done in half the time quoted.

it takes me 1.5 hours to swap a clutch, from parking to starting again.

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
ya 2 of my friends are mechanics. A clutch job pays a certain amt. of hours regardless of how long it takes the mechanic. He could get it done in 2 hrs. and get paid for 5 or 6, which doesnt seem fair, but if I were a mechanic Id love it lol

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Ya and then there are those times when you brake a bolt and spend 4 hours over drilling/tapping it to fix it back lol...

·
95NismoB14grl
1,492 Posts
yah i can do a clutch on my back with no lift in 2 hrs and on a lift i have taken my tranny out in 20 minutes and had a new set of gearsin it 30minutes later!!!Clutches take me about 1hr and 15minutes with a break for a breath!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
50-60 an hour... that's cheap. local prices are close to the hundreds here, unless i take it to one of those ghetto shops that doesn't change seals, replace bolts, or any of that good stuff...

if you're going to do it yourself use this guide courtesy of nismopc: http://nismopc.tripod.com/clutch_job.htm i wouldn't have been able to do it without it. tip: don't take out the drivers side axel it's a pain in the ass and you run the risk of damaging just by taking it out, (if you don't know what you're doing.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts