SR20 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting sick of looking at my ugly red car with the clear coat flaking off. How much do you think I would be looking to spend to get the car painted black?

I assume most of what I'm going to pay is prep work, so do you think I'd be able to figure out how to do that myself if I got a book or something?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Uh oh, better get maaco. I know it sounds bad but this was i di for my civic. We completely stripped the exterior from molding etc. We sanded primered, sanded, bondo'd primered, sanded, etc. When it had been prepped and was ready for paint we took it to maaco and had them do there 300$ paint job. To this day the car still looks great and glossy. We did this about 2 years ago. Now if you want a real paint job, like as in the whole car repainted, like door trim, engine bay etc, i would geuss somewhere around 3 to 5 thousand easy.

------------------
Kris94G20™

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About 4 years ago, I looked into having my Mitusibshi painted, and they said it would be about $3000 for a complete paint job. It was two-tone however. This is not doing any prep work myself. It was also at a local body shop in Minnesota.

Granted I have never had a paint job at Macco, I have heard some bad things about their cheaper paint jobs. (like they don't paint the insides of the doors) and such. However, kbslacker, if you have had good luck then I stand corrected. :)

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
Yeah I have seen some bad paint job from Macco things like orange peel and imperfections from bad prepwork, personally I would never take a car there unless it was some **** box LoL

·
Registered
883 Posts
Now im not rcommending you ever take your car to maaco. What mayco usually does is rough your paint up, wipe it down then paint. They do no real prep work at all. What i am saying is, if you do all the major prep work the correct way, then all maaco has to do is wipe it down then spray. It will be an ok job that way. But i would never take My G20 to maaco, or even try to paint it myself, just because my G20 is a lot better car then my civic was. The only real reason i did that to the civic, was i was getting ready to sell it, and wanted the most i could get.

------------------
Kris94G20™

·
Registered
244 Posts
Macco is the way to go for a descent paint job. the thing is that they contract people to paint cars, so just cause somebody gets a bad paint job that doesn't mean that the next guy will. every macco is different, about 3 years ago i had an 89 dodge shadow,
(horrible car forced onto me) i wanted repair it and sell it. well i got the $800 paint job and I have to say i was very pleased, it looked great and had a 3 year warranty. but like dude above me said, do your own prepwork, its cheaper and better, they do a horrible job of masking off parts. they got overspray on my muffler, tires, and antenna. but even with that it's worth it, I cant see paying over 3k for a paint job when the average nx is only worth 5-7k( I only paid $2,200 for my 93) and after i get my bodykit it's taking a trip to Macco!!!
I suggest you take a look at the cars that are waiting to be picked up, cause like I said, every Macco has different standards. Make sure you inspect your car very carefully before you drive it off the lot, they will have to fix it then and there. But if you drive it off the lot your pretty much stuck. hope that helps.

Daniel Knudtson
93 electric blue NX2000

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just found this place on the web. check them out. http://earlscheib.com/Default.asp
sounds even better than macco. but i would check out the cars there as well.

Daniel Knudtson
93 electric blue NX2000

·
Registered
883 Posts
That earl scheib is just another maaco. In fact i have even heard they are worse then maaco.

------------------
Kris94G20™

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
you can get a good paint job for about 1500 bux if you prep it yourself. primer, sand, bondo, get rid of dings, ect.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, Maaco sounds like just what I was looking for. I'm not in any rush, so I could take my time and prep the car. I figure I can paint things like the insides of the doors and the engine bay myself, since that doesn't need to be perfect.

Does anyone know where I can get some info on how to prep the car? And do they really have a $300 paint job?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, my dad refuses to let me prep the car in this house since it's such a messy job.

How bad would this really look if I were to go with this deal? I would get the "Pro 3" paint job, which is half off with this coupon: http://earlscheib.com/coupon-cutout.htm

It comes with a 5 year warranty...

[This message has been edited by Doug H (edited 01-18-2001).]

·
Registered
883 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
hey Doug I could hook you up.My buddy painted my car it cost me 1500.00 but that was changing the color,bodywork,prep,taking everything apart windows out too. bumpers off
and putting it back together.he also painted the blue car next to mine in the pic under sr20de general:91 se-rs pics.if you don't change the color it would be less money to paint and prep.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
91SE-R, it's great to find a local SE-R owner! I'm not too far away, over in Martinez. Maybe next time I need help trying to work on my car I can bug you
That is one awesome looking classic you own, btw. Definately the nicest one I've ever seen.

As for painting the car, the problem is that I really want to change the color. I was going for more of a stealth car look and red just doesn't work.

What I am thinking is that I'll just hold off until this summer, at which point I'll have lots of time to learn to do some prep work myself. Then if you wanted to hook me up that would be really cool
Maybe I'll even have a little bit of money saved up by then.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Doug, you should ask yourself how long you want to keep the car. Maaco jobs (at least the ones I have seen) look alright when new, but then after about a year don't look so hot anymore. I know it has something to do with taking care of the paint, but that's not all. This is espicially apparent when changing colors. I have seen a few maaco jobs that have flaked off in spots to reveal the old color. You should take 91SE-R up on his offer, doesn't sound too bad at all.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Like some earlier post said. He was probably going to sand and prep the car, reducing the chance of that happening.

------------------
Kris94G20™

[This message has been edited by kbslacker (edited 01-19-2001).]

·
Registered
244 Posts
doug,
It is a bad idea to paint your car in the winter anyways, its too cold for the paint to properly catalyze. summer is the best time. and the cool thing about earl scheib is that peeling and flaking is covered under the 6 year warranty!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
may want to check into electrobake. they did a reasonably good job on my father in laws van. they even put in some metal flake.
with prep and $100 van fee, i believe it was $600. that is a 6 year unlimited warranty on the paint job.

maaco comment: i have had 3 people use maaco. (2 acquaintences and 1 friend)

2 of the acquaintences ended up taking their cars back a total of 9 times between the two. one of them ended up getting a full refund and taking it somewhere else. the other sold the car shortly after.

the friend stopped at a stop light and the paint from the roof slid off in one sheet over the windshield. not being my car it was somewhat funny. after 3 repaints, he is still unsatisfied. (no he did not have a monstrous brake upgrade
)

------------------
MY SITE

·
Registered
195 Posts
From what I've read so far it sounds like it's impossible to get a decent paint job...unless you spend a ton of money. For me, money is not so much the issue as the quality would be, I would want the job to look like it came from the factory...is that out of the question? I have seen cars that were involved in accidents and repainted at the dealerships with excellent results which surprised me(keep in mind that they didn't paint the entire car.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts