SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How Hp can i push on my DET without breaking trannies???

Richie Soliven

SR20DET Power, HKS EVC EZ(not installed), HKS TURBO TIMER(not installed), JWT ECU , Greddy catback exhaust, 3 in ATR Race Cat, 3 in downpipe,300zxTT fuel pump HKS plugs,Magnecor wires, SSR rims 18x7.5,relocated battary to the trunk, AGX'S struts and Ground Controls

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
From what I have heard you will lose 3rd gear somewhere around 350-375 at the flywheel can't remember where I read it though , I think it's all in how you treat em.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I broke 3rd gear when I was on the JWT 100 shot program. I grenaded 3rd gear. I was putting 240hp & 290ft/lb to the wheels at the time.

------------------
Louis Anaya 1992 Sentra SE-R
13.6 @ 111 mph, Bluebird SR20DET w/ GTiR Pistons,T3/T04E,Deltagate Wastegate (9 PSI) FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Kuhmo 205/40/ZR17 Tires

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TurboSentra:
How Hp can i push on my DET without breaking trannies???

</font>
IMO it's all in how you treat the tranny and how beat it is to start with.

I bet Apex didn't tell you he went thought like 85 bottles before he blew 3rd into the ozone layer.

I have 5,000 hard...no I mean HARD (As in beat the living **** out of the car every weekend at the local cruise strip hard) miles on my stock tranny with the turbo pushing over 15psi with no troubles. I just shift normal for the most part. Yes I lose time but he who fights and runs away lives to fight another day.

Oh and I have 45K on the car with nitrous (50shot) and over 75 drag passes on the car with stock tirs, drag radials and slicks before the turbo.

I'm sure it will go (At the most un-opportune time...like when I'm lined up with a blown Mustang) but up till now knock on simulated woodgrain no troubles.

Ben B seems to have good luck with trannies to. Who knows...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the Pulsar GTIR motor and have broke four trannies since I put in my motor. The last time I snapped the big pin in the diff. the pin flew out and put three holes in my trannie, as soon as I pulled second gear.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If i do 550 injectos, Cobra MAf, and I front mount iC. I should be ok right? Because Right now I cant afford a Tran for my car. BUt still looing for more Hp.

Richie Soliven

SR20DET Power, HKS EVC EZ( boosting at 10 psi), HKS TURBO TIMER( installed), JWT ECU , Greddy catback exhaust, 3 in ATR Race Cat, 3 in downpipe,300zxTT fuel pump HKS plugs,Magnecor wires, SSR rims 18x7.5,relocated battary to the trunk, AGX'S struts and Ground Controls
A Hood scoop Next or front mount intercooler?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Just treat it nice, no "slam" shifting, no power shifting, let it get into gear before you smack the power back on and you should be fine up to 300whp.

Traction has a lot to do with it also. If you have big sticky tires, it's much harder on the trans, as is solid hub clutch discs. My car on the street spins the tires into third gear, I'm sure that helps save the trans.

Just use common sense, and you should be okay...for now.

Jay Hassinger
1997 200sx SE-R Turbo
F-Max Stage-II+ Running 8-22psi

[This message has been edited by Jay Hass (edited 01-31-2001).]

·
Registered
782 Posts
Jay Worte: I bet Apex didn't tell you he went thought like 85 bottles before he blew 3rd into the ozone layer.

Yeah! I think I did forget to mention that I was squeezing 100 shot on my motor for about 50000 hard miles , going through like 4-5 bottles per week! Ouch! But the tranny only gave out (I think)because it had 100000 miles on it. Fatigue was the major contributing factor to 3rd gear blowing up. Just baby the gears and you should be fine. I have a 1996 SE-R Welded & Cryo-treated Tranny in the car now and it seems to be holding up very well.

------------------
Louis Anaya 1992 Sentra SE-R
13.6 @ 111 mph, Bluebird SR20DET w/ GTiR Pistons,T3/T04E,Deltagate Wastegate (9 PSI) FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Kuhmo 205/40/ZR17 Tires

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
Hey guys,
This is a pretty cool forum. I am new obviously. I have a 99 Sentra SE
which I have managed to mod with CAI and Stillen STB. I have lots of
plans for it like eventually going turbo maybe as soon as this summer!
Anyway, since I am new I have a few questions about what you guys posted
about Trannys. When Jay says no Slam shifting, power shifting...what
exactly does he mean? I have an idea of what he is talking about, I
just want to be sure. Also, for example, when I want to down shift I
put in the clutch and rev the engine a little to have a smooth
transition into lower gears, is that ok? Thanks in advance,

-saaby

·
Registered
448 Posts
Speed shifting is not lifting the gas and just smacking the clutch in and shifting really fast. Not good for your transmission with questionable return for the abuse.

Slam shifting is the same ham fisted type of shifting with with the gas being let off.

You can shift quick, and not have to "slam" it into gear and slap the clutch out after ever shift.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Damn Jay, you need to show me how to shift at the convention this year. I get such a high from "slam" shifting as fast as possible that is very hard for me to avoid it. Need to practice it I guess... after I get that 250k clutch out and in with the new JWT unit...

Ben
slam shifting addict

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts