SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sheabird:
What kind of HP gains will you see if you take off the cat.? thanks.</font>
If you plan on staying N/A, you're better off keeping the cat unless your current one needs to be replaced. The stock SE-R cat is already a high-flow cat with 2.5" inlet/outlet with the inside going up to 3". What you gain by taking out the cat, though, is more pollution (but if it's going to be your track car, go for it!) If you're going turbo or nitrous, then you *might* get some gains. Someone else who's actually done testing on this could clarify, assuming they monitor this board.

Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R
1993 NX2000

[This message has been edited by RollcageSR20 (edited 04-08-2001).]

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
I believe the there is only about 5hp to gain from running a test pipe in NA applications.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER
advanced timing,custom 2.5" catback exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, ES shifter Bushing, Hotshot Header, Hotshot CAI

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
And remember those hp are usualy in the uppper upper rev range. You are gaining peak which may be good for bragging rights. But you usualy lose torque in the usable rev range. The cat adds backpressure which helps torque down low.

·
Registered
705 Posts
If you need a new cat, just get a random tech one. Its increased flow usually ads a couple HP, but as mentioned, you will lose a bit of torque, due to the loss in backpressure....Also, ridding of it makes your exhaust loud and freakin annoying. I know cuz i know a couple people that have done it, and i will never do it after hearing their cars!!!

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Greddy cat-back, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts