SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
playing around today in the shop and I can fit our flywheels on the lathe.

Stock it weighs 19lbs. What is the norm for the weight of a lightened one for us?

I am going to lighten and balance this one.

anyone interested in one?

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts
I'm interested in one... : ) How much would it cost?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will shave it down today

we are building the balancer write now for it, so that it will be balanced afterwards

I'm thinking $45 for having it done. $60 to buy a flywheel, and ?$60 to have it resurfaced

pricing might change, I'll know more later today

I'm thinking $200 for a factory flywheel that is lightened, balanced, and resurfaced

if you send your flywheel to me, just like $45 to have it lightened, and balanced

We only can lighten them and balance them. We can't resurface them, so I have to take it to a place to have that done, but for $200, all you have to do is wait at your house for a box.

·
6,928 Posts
Find out how much weight can be shaved off it and let us know! :D Also if you can, please try to take the weight off the outside of the flywheel where IT MATTERS!!! ;):D

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the engineers hear are saying "5 lbs, that is alot for that piece"
but we are taking it from the outside as much as we can and then from the inside

the ring gear that the starter connects to, is pressed on and we can't take too much from near it or that might fly off, it's getting lighter, just not sure how much yet

this is taking a long time

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hear you. We are experimenting now. Trust me, we don't want that to happen either, nor at 8100rpms

we are trying to take it off of the best spots

I'll let you know

·
6,928 Posts
John Doe said:
Alwayz hustlin'! alwayz:cool: haha I know what u doing...
Whos hustlin'? Who are you talkin about?

Take some cool photos Jason!! :~)

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
I have had one of George Roffe's lightened flywheels in my car for almost 2 years. It was shaved to 14# balanced and resurfaced. His price was $50 which is what I gave him (and a core flywheel.) The plans are on Matt niaura's website. It is a bluepring showing where to shave them so they will still be safe. I have an 8# Fidanza flywheel on my DET SE-R and it is much more noticeable difference but I spent $300 bucks on it :)

Matt Ostlund

·
6,928 Posts
Wha'd u get figured out Jason? anything? Or are you still waiting on your lathe(sp) belt? Update us when u can!

~Ryan;) :D

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
paNX2K&SE-R said:
I have had one of George Roffe's lightened flywheels in my car for almost 2 years. It was shaved to 14# balanced and resurfaced. His price was $50 which is what I gave him (and a core flywheel.) The plans are on Matt niaura's website. It is a bluepring showing where to shave them so they will still be safe. I have an 8# Fidanza flywheel on my DET SE-R and it is much more noticeable difference but I spent $300 bucks on it :)

Matt Ostlund
DingDingDing 2 points for Ostlund!

Here you go kids,

www.se-r-list.org/archives/2000/2000-10/frm01913.html

Copy the shortcut, and past it into the adress bar of your browser, the archives won't allow a direct link.

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm copying and I'm pasting, but I'm not getting anywhere

yes, I am waiting on a belt

could someone just cut and paste the info?
I am interested in it.

someone sent me a diagram of where to cut the flywheel, but they must have been looking at another flywheel, the drawing was more than way off.:confused:

·
6,928 Posts
Jason

That pic is the same one I sent you...I think the size of the dip and outtie part of it is just exaggerated...print it out and see if the visual aspects of it are the same, such as the part that sticks out on the center portion...ect....

~Ryan:confused:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that's insane, that diagram, I can't print that out and give it to the shop guy, he'll make me kick my own ass

the black, is that what is too be shaved? the white? what is that?

drawings like that piss me off

can't you guys tell that's not our flywheel?

:)

·
Like it or Don't Like it
1,084 Posts
=/

I don't understand that diagram I think jason is right that doesn't look much as a flywheel anyways.

Im planing on Lightening mines how many pounds should I take off?
5 or 4?

and is there any specific place to take punds off of it. or just where ever the machine shop does it.....Its gona be a full job anyways

Lightened and Balanced.

·
6,928 Posts
The most off the outside they can do....thats where the weight counts....but, you don't want it to explode on you or anything! :~)

~Ryan

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
got more belts in for the lathe

took some more off, my daddy is doing it. proly have like 2 lbs off so far, will get some more off
will take pics

AND DRAW A CORRECT SCHEMATIC FOR OTHERS

.note to self, JonJon is a boxer, don't make him angry

p.s. SilverSX needs a clutch

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.