SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after a few hours of searching ive come across a lot of different opinions on whats quiet, whats good, etc. im really tired of my cat-back right now. its not bad at idle, but at any other time its just "oh god dont stare at me". going on the highway is worse. there's the constant "droning" (i think thats what its called) and i just get a bad headache.

anwyays, back to the main point. i wanted to make a custom exhaust and ive was wondering which magnaflow is better since they seem to be the quietest so everyone claims. dual tip? single tip? offset? canister or oval? what's the difference in terms of sound and performance?
ive heard offset is quieter than the center/center. does having 2 outlets make it any quieter?

what about for resonators? the two main ones ive heard that are good are the dynomax bullet resonator and the dynomax thrush magnum? same question, which is better in terms of sound/performance.

im going underneath the car tomorrow to see whats the longest resonator i can fit on that thing with the cat. ive got a cherry bomb one on now. didn't really seem to do much, maybe welding that one along with another will help (maybe?)

sorry if this is an old thread but i can only look through so much **** before i give up. sound clips and pics would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oops :D helps to look at magnaflows FAQ's

Question:
What's the sound difference between a round muffler and an oval muffler?

Answer: There is no difference in sound between the round or oval muffler. The only reason they are different shapes is for fitting reasons. One may fit better than the other.

Question: What sound difference will I get with a smaller muffler as opposed to a larger muffler?

Answer: A smaller muffler is going to give you a much louder sound than you would normally get with a larger muffler. The larger or longer the muffler, the less sound you will get. The smaller or shorter the muffler, the more sound you will get.

still some of the other stuff unanswered.

·
I am a quiter
323 Posts
A resonator will help with the droning problem a lot. Hey it may help bottom end performance too.

·
Registered
377 Posts
i have the magnaflow offset, left/center, plus i have a 24" resonator, i love it, it has a nice deep rumble sound at idle, due to my S4's, it has a slight drone to it, but i think all exhausts do, but its quiet when i drive it, infact at full throttle its almost easier to hear my intake than it its my exhaust.. i'll post pics later

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
I just purchased a welded VRS 2.25 SS Tubing Kit w/22inch round SS resonator. I also ordered from www.fulllineexhaust.com a 18inch SS Offset/Offset Magnaflow muffler and SS oval tip. I am also going to replace my catalytic converter with a Magnaflow 94100 universal cat w/02 bung. Heres a pic of the set up. All parts mentioned here cost me $525.00 which was a good deal considering a replacement cat and stainless steel exhaust. I have this muffler but in the aluminized on my car and I enjoy the sound. Definitely get a long muffler. ;)

·
Slowly modding...
389 Posts
My mangaflow and 2.5" piping sounded okay before I replaced my cat, now it sounds like hell. Buzzes from 3k to redline, and when I let off the throttle.

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
b13ken said:
My mangaflow and 2.5" piping sounded okay before I replaced my cat, now it sounds like hell. Buzzes from 3k to redline, and when I let off the throttle.
What kind of cat did you replace it with?

·
Slowly modding...
389 Posts
2.5" universal Catco. Previously, the cat honeycomb filter was in chunks on the bottom of the cat, so there pretty much wasn't a cat.

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
This cat's a Magnaflow/CarSound and is put together nice, I'm going to have the the flanges welded on. I also had to order a universal NTK/NGK 02 sensor. I'm hoping this new set up is no louder that my current exhaust. ;)

·
GT2835R
7,609 Posts
My exhaust isnt that loud for what it is, does kinda drown but its deep as hell. It doesnt sound loud but I have been setting off car alarms everyday, especially since school started and i have to go through parking lot. I dont know exactly which Magnaflow I have but its a can style with no offset and stock resonator. I get compliments all the time, sounds intimidating with the s4s.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok i emailed the magnaflow guys, they said there's not realliy a difference b/w offset and centered mufflers. same with XL vs. the universal mufflers, they're all about the same except in price.

i had a pacesetter monza before. it was pretty quiet actually. then i removed the muffler b/c it was like rusting and that yellow on the inside is sorta annoyiong. changed to this bosal and noise level was like "ugh!"

there was one guy who said he had a magnaflow and that it was nice @ low rpms and ****, and then at high rpms the noise would die off and he could only hear the s4 cams. thas so what i need lol

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
Interesting what they say about round to oval. I went from oval to round and the round just droned and was a lot louder, I wonder if it is because of how they mounted it in back! SOmething to think about there.

Brent

·
b15 kid
3,021 Posts
i have a megan racing 2.5 catback...and im pretty sure it has a 3.5 inch tip........and holy **** it is loud.....at first my eardrums hurt so bad everytime i drove......now its not so bad....but its hella loud

·
Registered
987 Posts
i have 2.25" mandrel with catco cat, bullit muffler as resonator and dynomax muffler but it buzzes at about 3k in each gear, any idea how to fix that?

·
GT2835R
7,609 Posts
Tickwomp said:
ok i emailed the magnaflow guys, they said there's not realliy a difference b/w offset and centered mufflers. same with XL vs. the universal mufflers, they're all about the same except in price.

i had a pacesetter monza before. it was pretty quiet actually. then i removed the muffler b/c it was like rusting and that yellow on the inside is sorta annoyiong. changed to this bosal and noise level was like "ugh!"

there was one guy who said he had a magnaflow and that it was nice @ low rpms and ****, and then at high rpms the noise would die off and he could only hear the s4 cams. thas so what i need lol
When my car was on the dyno, there wasnt even any exhaust noise, you could just hear the air rushing out at a high velocity. Mind you I also have s4s.

·
8,886 Posts
My 2.5 inch setup is loud. I wear earplugs on long trips. It drones on and on. I have a magnaflow rear muffler, magnaflow resonator in place of the cat, and a bullet resonator behind that. It sounds great around town but not good for hours on end. I don't even hear the CAI any more.

·
old school
504 Posts
Mine gets louder every month... I think its the Thrush 24" resonator. It was quiet when I first put it in... should've gotten a Magnaflow resonator.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts