SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done searches about the EGR system and I find a lot of "clean the EGR valve" suggestions. How exactly do you clean the EGR valve? Do you disassemble the valve somehow? How does it come apart? Or do you just take the valve off of the car and spray all of the opennings? Any other EGR system cleaning recommendations?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would also like to hear what the best way to clean the EGR is. I have a CEL for the EGR and one of the reasons listed was blocked lines to/from the EGR valve. I want to try to clean it out before replacing the EGR as a last resort.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nobody? Oh well, looks like I will just take the whole thing off and check all the vacuum lines to/from it...

·
NX Cruiser
1,033 Posts
Here's how I clean the EGR components.

Purchase both EGR gasket and a can of throttle body cleaner (Valvoline SynPower works great).

The EGR has 2 parts: EGR valve & EGR base. Both holds carbon buildup and should be cleaned. I normally clean both but I've seen people only clean the valve. When doing both, you must purchase both gaskets.

- Remove the EGR valve and sit on a flat surface with the inside part facing up.
- Fill the cavity with the cleaner, push on the round part to open & close the valve.
- Pour out & refill, then let soak in cleaner for about an hour. Repeat until clean. Using a small brushing helps on stubborn buildup areas.
- The goal is to remove the carbon build up; especially around the valve seat.
Note: its better to let the carbon dissolve in the cleaner; brushing it while dry gets tiny carbon chips everywhere & makes the job much harder..

- If you removed the EGR base section, simply soak it in a small container (1lb coffee can) with throttle body cleaner. Brush the inside with a old toothbrush and let soak again for an hour. Wipe clean & reinstall with new gasket.

- Reinstall EGR valve with new gasket.

This procedure also works great for the IACV/AAC unit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts