SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Luke Pighetti
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright everyone, this is my first large write-up so bear with me.

I bought AGXs with GCs a couple weeks ago so I could have a set of dummy suspension to tool around with, just to get to know the ins and outs of suspension.

I had heard (in shortened Koni threads) that you could modify the lower spring perch to better accomodate a ground control coilover sleeve, and give more room for a wider tire. I couldn't figure out for the life of me what people were talking about, so I figured I would give it a go.

I can tell you right now that as soon as you are holding a strut housing in your hand with a ground control coilover kit installed, it is very obvious what the modification is. That being said, I felt that I should give back to this wonderful community with my own write up on how I personally went about doing this.

Enjoy.

We begin. There she is, the lone strut with the sleeve. You see that ugly useless lower spring perch? That's our target.

Make your marks with a sharpies so you have some sort of guide. I eyeballed all my other ones, I just wanted to show you guys where I'm cutting.

Dremel action shot! I love the new quick release cutting disks.

Make three straight cuts first, and then get the corners after the perch is gone.

Cut the other side so that it is loose and jingle jangling. :)

Two more cuts to give ourselves enough room to slide that mofo off.

There it is! Our lower perch has been removed.

Side view BEFORE I go cut the corners off.

Corners cut. :)

Whip out your trusty wham-wham.

We shall wham wham right here until the remaining tabs grip the sleeve slightly. I would SKIP THIS if you ever plan to remove the sleeve. But if you've come this far, why not? You are only going to be using ground control sleeves on this strut for the rest of it's life anyway.

There it is. Lower perch done. If you are doing work on your fronts, you have finished.

I was doing my rears and I decide that I didn't want the upper perch either. Your choice, it doesn't really do anything. I just figured I'd get it while I had everything apart. Plus I have like three extra sets of these rear upper perches anyway.

There she is!

My vise doesn't open enough to hold the whole thing, so this is what I did to hold it in place while I did my worst. :D

Snip snip!

Smoothe out the rough edges with a sanding attatchment or a grinder. Your choice. I also opted to smack the fresh metal with the hammer a bit to round it out.

Side shot.

Before and after shot of the rears. We make sexy time, yes?

Il est fini!!

·
wants 2 dry hump chriscar
4,507 Posts
very nice. now repaint those struts and it will look funky freash

·
wants 2 dry hump chriscar
4,507 Posts
yep. :)

when the car is down for senior project I will paint them black to match OEM struts. I wonder if i can paint the sleeve...
if you dont play with the ride height all the time there shouldnt be any problem with painting the sleeve. however if your always lowering or rasing the car the paint will chip off.

·
huh??
3,407 Posts
what about powdercoating?
same, the only thing that won't rub off easy is anodizing

and I'll have pics of the rack this weekend. if not kick me in the arse

·
SE-R Geek / Nissan Tech
814 Posts
me make STICKY time, yes?

·
SE-R Geek / Nissan Tech
814 Posts
possibly. we are becoming more divirse by the day....hehehe

·
out with neck injury :-(
1,231 Posts
I vote we have sticky sexy time, yes? :D

Kazakhstan ftmfw!
///h

·
Hostile Aberration
4,820 Posts

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
I love gc's... I have them on my b14 daily, and I'm doing this install on my street slut now...

do you think you could take a picture of the rear top hats dissasembled? I'm playing with my spare set and cant see how the rear assembly works w/ the oem tops and that silver piece on the top of the gc springs.

My other car has custom plates back there...

now put some wide ass tires on the bitch :)

my fronts on my b14 are cut too :D, just can't afford/justify wide tires and new rims at the moment...

·
8,886 Posts
Couple thoughts. On the front only, if your pry the tabs out you can lower the threaded sleeve. Basically you end up with the tabs at a 90degree angle to the strut. Then you can grind them down into a perfect base for the sleeve and not see it at all. Be very careful in the rear on a b13. If you lower the perch at all in the rear you will actually take tire clearance away, not increase it. I really like the way you did it for the rears as long as you do not lower the perch at all. I would mark the top of you sleeve on the strut and make sure it's at that height when you are done. Personally, I don't mess with the back of the b13 perch for that very reason. Just a warning for those that didn't know that part.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts