SR20 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How to do Brake Ducting on a B13...

Atleast here's how I did it. This is just the basic bare-bones way to do it. I started off by enlarging the holes in the front bumper with a 3" hole saw. While the bumper was off, I cut 3" holes into the metal side panels near the tow hooks. I ran the ducting down the inside of the splash shield panel and cut a hole in the splash sheild for the hose to exit on the driver's side. For the passenger side, there is no room near the oil pan so I had to crimp the hose and run it below the splash shield. I taped it with some aluminum tape to keep it cool, also because I got torn up a little during some testing. :D On both sides, on the inside of the splash sheilds, I used a galvanized metal "T" piece that was purchased from Home Depot. I drilled a few holes to mount them to the unibody and used them to both brace and pull back the plastic sheilds. This will take away from full steering lock with wide tires, so be careful. Anyways, zip ties will be your best friend. And although this is not a true brake ducting set-up because it does not vent to the middle of the rotor (almost impossible with stock brakes and hubs on a B13 so good luck if you go this way), this will definately be a lot better than stock. I'm having no fade problems at all and no boiling with Motul 600, all on stock-sized brakes.
Here's the link to the pics:
http://photobucket.com/albums/y253/LogicalRetard/Miscellaneous/

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey logic, what tracks do you go to? i've got a 180 and i'm going to go autocross when i get back from deployment. also, how much do you have to pay to get on the track... or do you have to be part of a club or something in order to get access to one? thanks...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far, I've been to Sebring, Daytona, and Moroso. I had planned on Roebling Road this month, but they ended up cancelling the race. I road race with the SCCA. It's called "Club Racing" and it's just a form of amateur road racing. It's expensive, haha. If you just want to get on track, look into track days. Check with Chin Motorsports (I'm an instructor for them so if you go, give me a shout and I can instruct for you!) and also SAFE Motorsports (you have to have previous track experience to run with SAFE). Track days are usually around $250ish. The first time out, you have to have an instructor (with Chin) which is another 50, but after you are signed off as "safe to drive", you are good to go. If you want to bang doors and rub fenders, then check out the SCCA Club Racing program, but be prepared to drop major moolah (if your serious, I'm taking offers on my whole racing kit-n-kaboodle!). Auto-x is always cheap and fun, sometimes a little slow and over way too soon, though. But for $30 a day, it's hard to beat!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts